Gout anyone?

skirtlifter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gout is a result of uric acid crystalising out in your joints, usually the toes and feet, but it can be in any joint and it's VERY painfull. Diet is frequently the cause (high purine content) but other factors can cause it. In my case it's caused by the diuretic tablets I need to take to treat my heart condition. It can usually be controled by adjusting your diet or failing that taking medication daily.

Gout is a result of uric acid crystalising out in your joints, usually the toes and feet, but it can be in any joint and it's VERY painfull.

is gout depending on age? and what uric acid levels will likely cause it? if one of your family member has it, is it more likely you can also get it?

i am asking as i had in some of my check ups during last couple of years a slightly higher uric acid level than normal. and my mother has it but not in a severe form.

Gout is a result of uric acid crystalising out in your joints' date=' usually the toes and feet, but it can be in any joint and it's VERY painfull. [/quote']

is gout depending on age? and what uric acid levels will likely cause it? if one of your family member has it, is it more likely you can also get it?

i am asking as i had in some of my check ups during last couple of years a slightly higher uric acid level than normal. and my mother has it but not in a severe form.

Not dependent on age.

If you have elevated levels of uric acid, you might be prone to getting it.

It seems to follw family lines.

None of my family members havr gout but I do.

When I was 10, I was stabbed in my lower back. Shortly afterwards, I developed gout. I suspect my kidneys were damaged.

If I go on a long hike up into the mountains, that generally brings on a gout attack. If I sit in the hot tub or sauna too long, that brings on a gout attack. Eating red meat, drinking alchol, etc. brings on gout attacks.

Archived