Bring back the death penalty

gobbledonk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd posted before about this.

In the case of a psychopath/sociopath I will agree removal from society is the best choice. From a purely clinical perspective they can not and will not contribute functionally and meaningfully to society, at any point. So I'd go for execution from your example KS. Incarceration is pointless to such individuals, they can't change and wont experience remorse or guilt.

However, very rarely are cases so clear cut. Even witness testimony is unreliable, as research has proven on numerous occasions.

Deciding who meets the criteria for a psychopath is a minefield. I wouldn't trust any psychologist to accurately determine such a mental state. Psychopaths are often of a higher IQ without emotions to affect their decision making processes and are notorious for manipulating others. Sadly for the psychological profession, many practitioners aren't up to the task.

Whilst emotionally there are times when I hear of a particularly henious crime and think I'd like to shoot the offender myself. But in reality there have been so many cases recently in the UK of people being cleared of murder after many years in prison I would have to agree with Mekong and the others and say theres too much risk of hanging an innocent person for me to want the reintroduction of the death penalty. Different for Oz I know but in the case of the UK it could never be reintroduced here whilst we belong to the EU as it is a requirement of membership not to allow execution.

Simie.

Ok, lets take the extreme - you are wrongly convicted of the rape and murder of a child and sentenced to 20 years in, basically, solitary confinement. The only other people you will see are, presumably:

- people convicted of similar heinous crimes,

- prison guards who see you as the lowest of the low, and

- social workers/psychologists.

Give me a choice between even 3 years of that and a quick death, and I'll take death. Even if you are eventually cleared, who the hell is going to employ you ? The majority of the general public are irrational when it comes to a crime of this nature and the tale would just get better each time it was told - life in your own country would be intolerable. We still have people in Oz who believe that Lindy Chamberlain killed her baby and tried to blame it on a Dingo, despite subsequent attacks by Dingoes on small children in the 30 years since.

If the system wants to fuck you up, it will do so - no amount of compensation can give someone back their life once they have spent x years in one of our prison systems. They had enough evidence on the Yorkshire Ripper to execute him several times over, and thats the sort of case where I am advocating the death penalty.

The right wingers are all for the death penalty because with the type of hot shot lawyer they can afford there's not much chance of them getting it.

Different story for a black guy with a public defender though.

Lock em up, prisons are one of the few growth industries these days and a public sector job is better than no job.

Lock em up, prisons are one of the few growth industries these days and a public sector job is better than no job.

I just did some very quick research so my numbers are not concrete but the average cost to keep a prisoner per year is around 20k-22k, give or take. Prison guards make anywhere from 23k in Mississpippi up to 61k in California. Plus whatever it costs to build the prison. As of last year, the U.S had over 2.3 million inmates. That is a HELL of a lot of tax dollars.

I'm not saying to put them to death quicker or anything but just keeping them in jail for life is a waste of money if one can know for sure the right man is behind bars.

Archived