Bring back the death penalty

gobbledonk

There was talk earlier this week of several states in the US considering abolishing the death penalty - I reckon they should think twice.

I really think Oz has been poorer for the absence of the hangman's noose since the early 60s - in cases where there is no reasonable doubt, I dont understand why there has to be a lengthy appeals process. For crimes of extreme brutality and callousness, why shouldnt the punishment fit the crime ? We have had several cases where a repeat offender has been released only to kill/maim someone within days of being put back on the street - at what point do you say 'times up' ?

I'm definitely getting a lot more right-wing in my old age. ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Definitely in favor of the death penalty as well. Last night the police here caught a guy who raped and killed a 16-year-old girl as well as her 13-year-old sister (to be honest, not certain if he killed the younger sister). I see no reason why a guy like that should be allowed to breath.

Sanuk!

Definitely in favor of the death penalty as well. Last night the police here caught a guy who raped and killed a 16-year-old girl as well as her 13-year-old sister (to be honest, not certain if he killed the younger sister). I see no reason why a guy like that should be allowed to breath.

I dont know how common child murders are in Thailand, but they seem to be a regular occurrence in Farangland. People like the Yorkshire Ripper and the scumbags who participated in the Belgian paedophile ring should all have been taken out and hung within 12 months of the verdict being read out. Satanic is the only term I can conjure when I read about these sad bastards.

in cases where there is no reasonable doubt, I dont understand why there has to be a lengthy appeals process.

Can you define "No Reasonable Doubt"

Many years ago one of my uncles was tried and convicted for murder, he spent seven years behind bars before his conviction was finaly overturned. At the time of the alledged offence he was babysitting me but was an easy collar for the police because he was a "known name"

I have also been banged up due to "Family Connections" and later been released without charge, sorry I have no confidence in the judicial system.

I'm with Mekong on this. I forget the exact stats, but a considerable number of people on death row in the USA are ultimately cleared of the crime that got them put on death row. Like wise many rapists and other criminals are later cleared (after serving years) using new DNA etc evidence.

So my objection to the death penalty is 2 fold, 1) you might be wrong, despite all the best efforts (hahaha) and 2) if guilty, killing the bastards is just letting them off easy.

With Mekong.

Have previously stated my position. No faith in experts. As someone who has met many and worked with them, very few are accurate in their diagnosis and/or conclusions. Little faith in the police, too many fucked up dysfunctional individuals in the police, it attracts a certain type of person.....

Hi,

(Not directed at Faustian, just a general reply.)

Ok, slightly different approach.

Scenario:

You see a guy rape and kill a 15-yr-old girl, but are for whatever reason unable to prevent the crime.

Within seconds of killing the girl the guy is apprehended. 100% certainty he committed the crime.

Question:

What do you think his punishment should be?

Sanuk!

Archived