Ugliest City

shygye

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forgot. Nuance and conceptuality is lost on you. So sorry.

I mean, seriously, did you believe that the original article really meant that they really considered that little Belgian city was the worst place in the world, or just the first or "civilized" world. No one is that insulated.

Cheers,

SD

Charleroi is indeed an old dirty town.

Used to be coalmines, then steel mills, no investments, many immigrants, totally rundown.

Dirty, no investments, no green, no future.

High unemployement, high crime.

Corrupt lcal politcians as well !

Mai pen rai.

Not the nicest place to be.....

BB

I've seen my fill of crappy spots:

* East St. Louis, Ill

* Newark, NJ

* Camden, NJ

Some spots I actually wouldn't put on there and Compton, Calif. is one. There are actually some very decent spots 'littered' throughout that beleaguered city.

Guest lazyphil

its all relative ;) case in point. haverhill (aka haverhole!), suffolk. compared to other 'ugly' places its proberbly ok, but compared to nearby suffolk locales such as 'chocolate box' idyls like clare, cavendish, sudbury, lavenham, flatford (home to the hay wain painting) and newmarket it really is a ugly depressing london overspill (post ww2 blitz) eyesore on the map :thumbdown:

There are parts of Melbourne where I'd agree with you TB, but there are also some very leafy suburbs too. Until you've been to a place like Mt Isa, its difficult to imagine what it would like to live on Mars. Not really sure why anyone would build a town so close to an opencut mine ...

East St. Louis was one of the few cities of any size I've been to that had no 'nice part of town'. It was either bad or very bad looking no matter where I went in that town. That was years ago, maybe it got better now.

I heard there were good parts of Newark, NJ. I've yet to see it ( :sad: ).

I think as a rule it has to be a city of some size. I can find plenty of crap holes with 10k population littered accross the U.S. What's a good benchmark? 500k population at least? 100k?

Guest lazyphil

fresno was described to me as a zoo and advised not to stay there when i had to to a big detour because of heavy snow to get to yosemite.....is it a shit hole?......

Archived