What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Cupla TV series:

Dark Winds
Zahn McClarnon stars.  6 episodes 2022, 6 more 2023.
Navajo police officers in the 1970s Southwest.

Good this, not stunning but worth a binge or perhaps 2.

image.jpeg.e621b6b5a1ac8fda56db31c7d3bbadfa.jpeg

Far North 
I am perhaps biased, as it's a local (NZ) 6 part series, set not far from where I have family.
Based on a true story - no spoilers - watch the end credits of episode 6 to see how true.
Also backed up by local gossip from my family and news reports, over the last few years that correspond to the events in the series.

Briefly: Comedy,crime drama and bizarre, as in a bunch of f*ck-knuckles do drug trafficking...

I think well written and very Kiwi

image.jpeg.c014ca6952064abe06fb7020f7dea616.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Undercover TV Series

The plot revolves around a story inspired by real-life events, where undercover agents infiltrate a drug kingpin's operation in Limburg, a Flemish province bordering the Netherlands. The infiltration is executed by two agents, Bob Lemmens and Kim de Rooij,  who are posing as a couple at the campground where the drug kingpin spends his weekends.

Trailer Park Sopranos meets Breaking Bad 

The Reckoning [2023 TV Limited Series]

The story of Jimmy Savile's life from his working-class roots, to his rise to TV stardom as a BBC presenter, and his later years when he managed to keep his reign of sexual abuse concealed until after his death in 2011. Four part series courts controversy for the BBC dramatizing its own obscene subject so recent in memory, but the lead brings off a masterfully subtle performance, the included documentary mixes validate its warning message and skillful direction makes this work.

28 minutes ago, Palatkik said:

but the lead brings off a masterfully subtle performance,

Steve Coogan is a very good character actor. A lot of people think he is from Norwich / Norfolk because of Alan Partridge (some people think Partridge is real). I preferred Paul Calf aka Duncan Disorderly, but proud to say he is a Manc.

For me his best performance was Antony H (Tony) Wilson in 24 Hour Party People,  he nailed it. I grew up with Tony Wilson as a News Reader and the presenting “So it Goes” on Granada TV in the Late 70’s. Surreal TV a newsreader presenting a prime time music show with the likes of Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks Joy Division etc

• 3 weeks later...

Last Stop Larrimah

Set in the Australian Outback, in a tiny town with a population of 11 until one is murdered with everyone a suspect.

As one review put it, "The best advertisement for using sunscreen I've ever seen."

Golda [2023]

Focuses on the intensely dramatic and high-stakes responsibilities and decisions that Golda Meir, also known as the 'Iron Lady of Israel,' faced during the Yom Kippur War. This is solely about how well the lead carries off the prosthetics and character of Meir, everything else is cigarette smoke and awful. The use of the converted Boeing 747 from the old Top Gear race track in an historical biopic movie is saying what the director thinks of his audience.