What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

TV Series, Upload

An odd one, future based afterlife romcom series, er, I think.

Kind of okay and not in the least bit heavy watching, almost bubblegum with a hint of intrigue.

Easy on the eye watch in the shape of Andy Allo.

***1/2

King Rocker [2020]

British comedian Stewart Lee talks old times and new with 70's alternative music legend Robert Lloyd who fronted the Prefects and then the Nightingales. Hilarious reminiscing's, both Lloyd and Lee on form here, great music throughout this rockumentary, with a contrived link by Lee to the King Kong statue that got banished from the Birmingham Bull Ring to end up in the Lake District.

When I saw the title my initial thought was about Generation X, maybe a Billy Idol Rockumentry.  …   Then I read “King Kong”

Remember the chorus to king rocker?

King rocker,
King rocker
Rock, rock, rock
King Kong,
King Kong

Domina series was worth watching, if only for the Roman costumes. They did manage to shoe horn in a sub Saharan African as the unlikely fictitious 'sister' of Livia Drusilla, at pains to point out she was born in Rome as were her mother and grandmother, diversity BC! Not as good as the Rome series a few years ago but OK.

The Reason I Jump [2020]

Based on the biography by Naoki Higashida about his autism, this immersive documentary without commentary explores the experiences of non-speaking autistic people around the world. Impressive close cropped in your face framing and sound bites works well to convey the experience.

A Quiet Place Part II [2021]

Following the events at home, the Abbott family now face the terrors of the outside world. Forced to venture into the unknown, they realize the creatures that hunt by sound are not the only threats. Cashing in on the success of the original from 2018, sequels and sci-fi horror flicks are both an acquired taste, but when entertaining mindless alien violence fits the bill this is OK as its still retains some of the originality and the thrills work.

Rare Beasts [2019]

A British anti rom-com about a career-driven single mother, who falls for charming, traditionalist work colleague. A movie that starts off well but descends into cliched platitudes best forgotten. Only became available to see in 2021, never a good sign.

Limbo [2020]

A refugee carrying his oud and separated from his Syrian family, stuck on a remote fictional Scottish island awaiting the fate of his asylum request with other refugees. The premise might seem misguided and a bit sanitized coming from a big movie corporation UA, but the offbeat story is poignant with some wickedly wry British humor and Scottish scenery making for an enjoyable movie, nothing great but OK.