Thai "yellow shirt" leader shot

Palatkik

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< The shooting took place at around 5.40am while Sondhi's vehicle - a luxury Toyota van - was travelling on Samsen Road near the Bang Khun Phrom intersection. A golden-bronze Isuzu pickup that was following abruptly drove past the van on the left, and two men in the pickup's bed sprayed Sondhi's car with automatic rifle fire for around five minutes before the truck sped off. There were no reports as to whether the gunmen got out of the pickup to fire their weapons.

Apart from 84 spent cartridges from three types of automatic rifle found at the scene, police also found a dud M79 grenade on Bus No 30, which was travelling in the reverse lane. No police theory as to whether that was meant to hit Sondhi's car or fired at the bus to create a diversion was immediately available.

Initial crime-scene reports said the M79 failed to explode because the range was too close. Found at the scene were 64 cartridges fired from an AK-47, 17 from an HK33 and three from an M16.

Four surveillance cameras at the scene, operated by traffic police, had been out of order since 1.30pm on Thursday, but two others operated by the city administration captured images of the two vehicles heading towards the scene of the incident, with the pickup trailing Sondhi's vehicle. >>

Da Nayshun

Hi,

Does anyone else find that claim of 5 minutes a bit odd? Sure, it may have felt like 5 minutes to the guys in the car, but come on! Shooting automatic weapons for 5 minutes??? There'd likely not be anything left of the car.

I am far from an expert on weapons, but I do recall you can empty an Uzi clip (20 rounds) in a matter of seconds. I guess the same is true for M16's and AK-47's.

Also, why didn't they shoot the sides of the car?

Sanuk!

I was kind of being sarcastic earlier when I said 5 minutes probably felt like a long time.

Yes I find it odd. It was either several short bursts that went on for a total of 5 minutes or what is probably more accurate, the witnesses and victims had no concept of time.

5 minutes of continuous automatic weapon fire would result in thousands of rounds fired, not 84.

5 minutes of continuous automatic weapon fire would result in thousands of rounds fired, not 84.

It's all a bit academic but 84 are only the casings recovered at the scene. I guess there would be a lot more in the back of the pickup?

Mark

Archived