Thai "yellow shirt" leader shot

Palatkik

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me see if I remember this...

"...listen up scum bags, this here is the M16A2 it is a gas operated air cooled select fire shoulder held assault weapon. It weighs 7.5 pounds. It is the standard issue weapon for U.S. combat troops. It fires a Nato standard 5.56mm projectile from a 30 round detachable magazine. It is capable of firing this round at an effective rate of 700 rounds per minute, with a muzzle velocity of 3050 feet per second from the standard 20 inch barrel, with an effective accuracy of 600 yards...YOU WILL MASTER THIS WEAPON..."

Or something like that...

ANd if I further recall..."ok asshole, this is the AK-47 the weapon your enemy will most likely try to kill you with...it weighs over 9 pounds, that's right, the commie sons of bitches work harder for less pay than you do, shit com-you-nism is workin' real well for him...no wonder he's pissed off! ..."

I seem to recall the AK-47 fires at a slower rate, with a slower muzzle velocity and a bigger bullet (more knock down power) and is more reliable and more accurate over a longer distance...oh, and one more thing I just remembered from boot camp...

"...one more thing, your rifle and all your equipment was manufactured by the lowest bidder..." how reassuring...

I carried an M14 for my first 6 months, kept it on automatic all the time. Couldn't hit anything you aimed at on auto, but it was great for spraying the woods ... almost a mini M60. For my next 7 months, when we were in a much quieter area, we got our M16A1s. 20 round magazine and you were advised to carry only 18 rounds in the magazine in your weapon, since the spring had a tendency to give out and the magazines would then fall out at inconvenient times. :doah:

As to lowest bidder, I grabbed a Colt when we had to turn in our M14s for M16s. Some guys got weapons made by Singer (the sewing machine company) or Remington (the typewriter company). I had guys asking to swap rifles with me all the time. :)

p.s. The old gag used to be that your parachute was packed by the Lighthouse for the Blind.

A better news report....

Link

Sondhi case: Suspects to be arrested soon

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on April 19, 2009

Police investigators are likely to arrest suspects in the shooting of media magnate Sondhi Limthongkul within a week as many of them have been identified, sources said yesterday.

The sources said that Sondhi himself best knew who had mounted the attempt on his life.

[color:brown]Three teams of assassins on motorcycles[/color] sprayed a hail of bullets at Sondhi, his driver and his secretary, from the front, the back and the side of the vehicle, according to the sources. [color:brown]The gunmen were not in a pickup truck[/color] as earlier suspected.

The man who drove the pickup truck spotted by security camera following Sondhi's vehicle moments before the shooting yesterday came to police and denied involvement. The motorist said that he had been driving behind Sondhi's vehicle when he heard gunshots, which prompted him to turn behind a bus nearby for cover.

Sondhi's guards, following him in another vehicle, also saw the suspects and fired on them, forcing them to speed away before they could complete their mission, they said.

"Sondhi knows best who tried to kill him," said a source, "but he can't say anything much now because he doesn't trust the police or the investigators."

Deputy national police chief General Jongrak Juthanond yesterday chaired a meeting of investigators at Chana Songkhram police station to discuss the probe into the shooting.

At 5.30 am on Friday, Sondhi's van was attacked by a team of gunmen as he was on the way to his office for a six-o'clock ASTV talk show. The gunmen used a range of weapons to fire several dozen bullets at Sondhi in front of Wat Iamworanuj, in Bangkok's Bang Khumphrom area.

Sondhi escaped because he was sitting in the back seat and his guards, in another vehicle behind, fired at the gunmen, who lost their nerve and sped from the scene.

After five hours of surgery, bullet fragments were removed from Sondhi's skull. While Sondhi's secretary accompanying him was unhurt, his driver remains in critical condition, needing a third operation.

According to Sondhi's media firm Manager, [color:brown]he is furious with his attackers.

[/color]

Sondhi's condition improved yesterday, and he was able to talk, walk and eat, said his doctor Theerapong Charoenvit, director of Chulalongkorn Hospital.

The People's Alliance for Demo-cracy leader will be kept under close medical observation for one week, however. Theerapong said Sondhi, who is on the eighth floor of the hospital, had asked him to tell the media he was "fine and safe".

His driver, Adul Daengpradab, was in a more serious situation with a four-cubic-centimetre swelling at the back of his brain and will have to have another brain operation, his doctor said yesterday.

Meanwhile, Jintanat Limthongkol, Sondhi's son and senior executive of the ASTV-Manager media empire, said yesterday [color:brown]Sondhi was "vengeful" but not sure yet who was behind the assassination attempt.[/color] Jintanat urged the PAD to exercise caution and not fall into the trap of the enemy.

Democrat Party spokesperson Buranaj Smutharaks yesterday urged the authorities to quickly arrest those behind the attack as the issue could complicate the political situation and lead to confrontation. He warned against believing rumours.

Amongst the many well-wishers who visited the hospital yesterday were Chuan Leekpai's son Surabot, who said he and his mother had come on behalf of his father.

<< Three teams of assassins on motorcycles sprayed a hail of bullets at Sondhi, his driver and his secretary, from the front, the back and the side of the vehicle, according to the sources. The gunmen were not in a pickup truck as earlier suspected. >>

Just a minor difference ...

<< Sondhi's guards, following him in another vehicle, also saw the suspects and fired on them, forcing them to speed away before they could complete their mission, they said. >>

Was this after they fired at the car for five minutes?

:p

Big change in details and still none the wiser as to how they managed to miss stationary, trapped targets, from now 3 sides.

I hope we find out the culprit, it could be very interesting, but it appears to be someone who doesn't have much worry or respect for the law! A brazen attack, to be sure.

Archived