Rama 5 coin

limbo

The Mrs. found it in our garden, tried to post yesterday but the internet connection wasn't having any of it.

Thanks for the response so far, it definately looks like a genuine coin to me, am just trying to get some more background info.

@ CTO, sounds like a plan, going to jj market.

My wife and and father in law are over the moon with the coin!

Hi,

"AFAIK KS is right into coins and stuff... he may know "

While I do collect Thai coins, I only have ones I've received myself; never bought any.

Don't really know much about the subject either, just thought it cool to collect (mostly 10 Baht) coins :)

Sanuk!

The year is definitely 1896, since the date 114 is clear as can be. That is the 114th year of the Chakri Dynasty, which was founded in 1782.

It is indeed a one att coin, same same the "1882" coin that is misdated on eBay. You can read the 114 on them both.

Thais don't seem to be big coin collectors. You can buy silver 1 baht coins from Rama V for not that much from dealers. I bought a nice set of Rama VI silver coins in beautiful condition for a few hundred baht - the salueng, song salueng and one baht coins. I once found an "error strike" of the medium sized 1 baht coin that was issued in the 1980s. (Remember the fun of two different sized baht coins and figuring out which one a pay phone would take?) I showed the coin to a dealer. He told me that while an error strike would be worth some money in the west, nobody gave a damn about it in Thailand. Seems the desired collectors' items are amulets!

:dunno:

Hi,

"AFAIK KS is right into coins and stuff... he may know "

While I do collect Thai coins, I only have ones I've received myself; never bought any.

Don't really know much about the subject either, just thought it cool to collect (mostly 10 Baht) coins :)

Sanuk!

I hear 10 bhat paper notes are now collectible...come to think of it, been awhile since I got one...I do have tons of shit I bought at the coin show last year...all Rama 9 stuff...

My wife oddly collects notes from overseas - low value.

Limbo - years ago my brother found a beautiful large gold ring in the garden - our house had been the site of a USA Army camp in WW2 so assume some yank lost it.

Archived