Issan : survival on 20.000 BHT ?

buffalo_bill

Since they were by definition surviving before, just send them 5k to 10k baht per month. But shit if up and down the scale so it looks like you are sending what you can, and never send more or a specific amount on request.

They got by before so you are just icing on the cake as we say in the US.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make them earn it in some way that benefits the family,

Which is the idea

salary/income for a villager (150 baht a day). 4

Very well Sir , Nok spent 3 years on a construction site at your 150 bht a day which is better than nothing but how do you organise your life with 2 children , mummy sick , father gone and 2 sisters with no income ?

Well that's it innit? All these guys complaining about spending fuck all. When spending just a bit could make a huge difference.

Now I do agree with all the advice about strings attached to the help (be it a façade of them working for it or a list of rules or whatever), but that's it. I think B20k is a fine number to allow a family to raise themselves out of the shit and be (a small) something....properly applied, that is. And it *is* fuck all innit? IMHO, if you can't piss that away without impact, on a cause you believe in, then you shouldn't be gallivanting abroad.

B20k is nothing. That used to be each of my daughter's spending money for a month when they were in high school. In BKK. Five years ago. Of course now, one is in med school and one is in nursing school, fulfilling the promise I saw they had, and nurtured. (Horrid punctuation, but I'll leave it LOL)

I guess it is just how much of a control freak you are (keepin' 'em poor and on the farm so you're the big boss) or worried about being ripped off (I wouldn't give it if it made any impact in my finances, so I couldn't care less as I feel I'm getting my ROI) -- neither situ interests/worries me.

Cheers,

SD -- far from rich, but has been "go to bed hungry" poor, and gets it...

Hi,

"B20k is nothing."

Definitely a matter of perspective. I certainly could not afford to give 20K away to the in-laws. That amount pays for my rent + monthly bills (elec, water, phone, mobile, internet) with money left over.

There is also no way I could afford to give our kids that kind of money; nor do I think they'd need it. I'd even say 20K / month spending money for a kid in high school is an obscene amount.

Sanuk!

Well that's it innit? All these guys complaining about spending fuck all. When spending just a bit could make a huge difference.

Now I do agree with all the advice about strings attached to the help (be it a façade of them working for it or a list of rules or whatever), but that's it. I think B20k is a fine number to allow a family to raise themselves out of the shit and be (a small) something....properly applied, that is. And it *is* fuck all innit? IMHO, if you can't piss that away without impact, on a cause you believe in, then you shouldn't be gallivanting abroad.

B20k is nothing. That used to be each of my daughter's spending money for a month when they were in high school. In BKK. Five years ago. Of course now, one is in med school and one is in nursing school, fulfilling the promise I saw they had, and nurtured. (Horrid punctuation, but I'll leave it LOL)

I guess it is just how much of a control freak you are (keepin' 'em poor and on the farm so you're the big boss) or worried about being ripped off (I wouldn't give it if it made any impact in my finances, so I couldn't care less as I feel I'm getting my ROI) -- neither situ interests/worries me.

Cheers,

SD -- far from rich, but has been "go to bed hungry" poor, and gets it...

:yeahthat:

Maybe you can get away with saying that, but you are going to get a ration of shit over it. If I tried they would be all over me.

:beer:

TH

No offense intended KS. Just different levels, innit?

At the time, the you-know-who MNC was paying B500k/yr for them to attend NIST, so B20k/mo is not so much then, is it? And required to maintain their status in school (nothing worse than being the teenage kid who can't hang with their peer group -- been there, done that, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy).

To my detractors, not bragging. Just stating the facts at the time in my life. Sorry if that offends.

Cheers,

SD -- yes, I've been "lucky" and done well in life, but I understand what it takes...

:yeahthat:

Maybe you can get away with saying that, but you are going to get a ration of shit over it. If I tried they would be all over me.

Yeah, I'll get it too, but my skin is as think as a Rhino's. I don't give a fuck. I just tell it like it is, whether anyone wants to hear it or not. And even if anyone agrees with it or not. It just is what it is as I see it (not that I know fuck all as I've only been here 20 years, so I truly defer to others who know more)...

Cheers,

SD

Yeah, I'll get it too, but my skin is as think as a Rhino's. I don't give a fuck. I just tell it like it is, whether anyone wants to hear it or not. And even if I agree with it or not. It just is what it is...

Cheers,

SD

As SD says, its a matter of perspective. For those of us making a US / 40 year old professional salary, 20kbht a moth would indeed be next to nothing. I was getting $1000us a month when I was in college from my father and that was in 1990!

But that said, the expense of living in Cambridge Mass is a little different than living in Issan.

For me, it would boil down to whether I'm just trying to get family off my back while I bang the girl or whether I'm really involved in a relationship. Family off the back = bare minimum required. If I'm in involved, I would need to give enough to balance out how obscenely I spend money on myself. I think it's cruel to take the daughter out for 5k dinners and get accustomed to not thinking about the cost of starbucks, movies, massages, and all the normal creature comforts while her family is expected to survive on 5k/month. How far up you bring the family so that you feel less guilty about your own extravagances is a personal matter.

In my own situation, I'd throw in enough for them to get drunk whenever they wanted, have protein with every meal, hit some fine local poon on occasion, and have a little left to gamble with. At that point, I'd say we're even.

Archived