91 benzine vs 91 gasohol

khunsanuk

Hi,

According to my wife it is getting more and more difficult to find 91 benzine, which is what she uses in her car. Does anyone know why loads of gas stations are no longer supplying it?

And what is the difference between 91 benzine and 91 gasohol? Can she just switch?

Sanuk!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the car. On the two cars I have experience using both 95 regular unleaded petrol and 95 gasohol I did not notice any difference, but then I wasn't really looking either, just not that picky I guess.

My most recent vehicle states in the hadbook that:

The octane number posted at the pump must be 91 min. It is an average of both the Research ® octane number and the Motor (M) octane number: [(R+M)/2]. This is also known as the ANTI-KNOCK INDEX.

Unleaded gasoline containing oxygenates such as Ethanol, IPA, IBA and TBA can be used provided the ratio of any of these oxygenates to gasoline does not exceed 10% MTBE not to exceed 15%.

The ratio of Methanol to gasoline must not exceed 3% plus additional cosolvents.

Using mixtures of Ethanol and Methanol is not allowed. Gasohol, which contains 10% Ethanol and 90% unleaded gasoline can be used.

Cheers

Hi,

"The octane number posted at the pump must be 91 min. It is an average of both the Research ® octane number and the Motor (M) octane number: [(R+M)/2]. This is also known as the ANTI-KNOCK INDEX.

Unleaded gasoline containing oxygenates such as Ethanol, IPA, IBA and TBA can be used provided the ratio of any of these oxygenates to gasoline does not exceed 10% MTBE not to exceed 15%.

The ratio of Methanol to gasoline must not exceed 3% plus additional cosolvents."

Uh.... thanks .... I think :)

Sanuk!

your gas milage will go down, Ethanol is like a filler , it takes up space but does not have the same power for the volume,

On older cars from the 70s-80s it screws up the rubber gas lines , makes them soft and mushy, newer cars were designed to use an Ethanol mix,

We have had it here in California for a long time and it really has not done any harm ,

BK

KS

it's partly politically motivated. Back then Mr.T tried to force a changeover from gasoline 95 to gasohol 95 with a total phaseout of gasoline 95 at the end of 2008. A fine would be levied on any gas stations selling this after cutoff date.

This infuriated a lot of middle-income people (myself included) who run cars (BMs, Mercs etc) that are optimised for gasoline 95. This in part contributed to street protests as well.

Unfortunately gasohol 95 has only 95% the octane rating of gasoline 95, and the ethanol can damage seals and fuel lines. It also has a cleaning effect on the engine that can clean out too many carbon deposits and so cause erratic operation. Many motorcyclists at work complain that they can't run properly on gasohol, and gasoline 91 is a little underpowered.

It has now become clear that gasoline 95 will not be phased out (Shell has re-introduced it at practically all their gas stations as V-power) and that gasoline 91 will be axed instead.

If your wife runs a late model Japanese car she should not have a problem with gasohol.

Hope that answers the question.

Archived