Standing room only Airlines?

[color:purple]How can an airline pack 40 percent more passengers onto a plane, trim costs by 20 percent and lower airfares for its customers?

By offering "standing" seats.

Seriously.

China's Spring Airlines, in an effort to handle a growing number of passengers, is considering selling standing-room tickets. A spokesperson said the carrier has been mulling the idea since the beginning of the year.

"The process of plane making is really long," spokesman Zhang Wuan told CCTV. "We already ordered 14 new jets. But some of them will only be delivered next year. And you have to wait for at least 5 years to lease a plane, and it is also very expensive."

"It's just like bar stools," he added. "The safety belt is the the most important thing. It will still be fastened around the waist."

Spring could submit its plan to aviation regulators by the year's end.

The private airline operates just 13 planes  not enough to cope with growing demand.[/color]

Link

Wow. What can one say to that? I've flown on my share of dodgy third world airlines, but that's ridiculous. Someone needs to tell them that that's the way business works; if you have 13 planes then that's your capacity. And I think the line about not being able to get planes is BS. There are NUMEROUS aircraft in the world today parked in long-term storage that have plenty of life left on the airframe and plenty of leasing companies that want to lease them.

Cheers,

SD

Airbus floated the standing seats proposal years ago.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to standing for short haul flights but would expect the savings to be much greater than 20%.

The renderings of the standing seats I've seen in the past didnt look anything like a barstool though, more like a gurney standing up on one side.

One wonders what standing passengers would do in severe turbulence?

I don't like the sound of this idea at all.

Pretty much the same thing passengers do on a "standing" rollercoaster that turns them head over heels multiple times.....Go with the flow.

You would be strapped in with ample support. Its not as though the would herd people behind a rope and tell them "Hang On" :grinyes:

Perhaps they could construct some sort of standing crate arrangement, like sow crates, herd in a dozen people, strap and bolt them in, load 'em on planes with a forklift. Very space save. Mortality rate not big. Hose 'em down if messy. Extra roll cage like protection if crash. Advantages too many to list.

Archived