Patpong report

cheekyboy

Patpong really has become more of a tourist market than anything else.

One of the things that I think has damaged it is the rapacious taxi Mafia operating there, demanding B300 for a trip to Sukhumvit and threatening taxi's flagged down. You have to walk a pretty long distance to find one willing to use the meter.

I know the ones hanging on the Asoke end of Soi Cowboy are the same but if you walk to the soi 23 end, no problem flagging one who'll turn on the meter.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly there are a lot of tourists milling around the night market on PP1 (but then there always have been) but you won't find many of them in the bars, at least not the bars I frequent and very few make it through to PP2.

Poor Patpong ... much of it's own doing though.

Any geezers remember the Patpong Mardi Gras days? A weekend would be set aside for charity raising, and the sois turned into a street fair. Chinese acrobats and the Tiffany Show at night, families roaming around (with husbands nervously hoping none of the girls recognised them and greeted them) ... even the governor of Bangkok would be there. I have pics of the BGs mobbing the gov and groping of him (as he grinned in delight).

It was anything goes in the bars back then. The market started simply as a few vendors on one soi. Then the Patpong gals got involved and rented out spaces to make money. The Pong has never been the same since. :(

Oh man, that was so great, the Sunday closing of Silom...I remember the first few times they did it, even though there was no chance of traffic, the Thais were scared to walk in the street, haha...

Once it got going, it was a great party, lots of street food, live music, and a tiny corner of BKK with no automobile domination (or pollution)...

what killed it was the evil capitalist Silom shopowners, who complained that the lack of easy accessibility for cars was killing their business, stupid fuckers... entrepreneurs are so evil.

One of the things that I think has damaged it is the rapacious taxi Mafia operating there, demanding B300 for a trip to Sukhumvit and threatening taxi's flagged down. You have to walk a pretty long distance to find one willing to use the meter.

I know the ones hanging on the Asoke end of Soi Cowboy are the same but if you walk to the soi 23 end, no problem flagging one who'll turn on the meter.

On the last couple of trips, the Soi Cowboy Taxi Mafia tout routinely tried to tell me "200 baht!" for a cab back to Nana Hotel (or Nana Plaza), and they always immediately backed down when I replied "Don't be ridiculous. Hasip baht, meter."

Archived