absolute minimum

buddha

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

want to spend 6-12 months just concentrating on fitness. No beer, no p4p [or very limited], no western food, no air con, no taxis, real eye of the tiger stuff. I would prefer to be near the ocean for snorkeling and fishing. I would show up with a mountain bike and that would be my form of transport.

For a lifestyle THAT basic the minimum spendings would be increadibly low in LOS I think.

But I wouldn't chose Phuket if I wanted to live the real cheap life.

To my experience it's the nightlife that makes LOS expensive.

In Pattaya I had one or two days that I didn't go into the nightlife. Just rented a scooter for 150 bht. driving around to Jomtien and other places.Chilling at the beach. Breakfast at Kiss restaurant for 60 bht..Dinner at a small Thai open restaurant 70 bht. and a few drinks in a beerbar in the early evening.

Total spendings : hardly more than 1000 bht. (20Euro) including a nice A/C hotelroom for 400 bht.!

When indulging in nightlife it went up to 4-5 times that amount daily, sometimes even more!

He didn't say 10K baht, you notice. Maybe he means A$10K or 10K Lao kip.

:dunno:

I've lived on 20K baht in Bangkok some months in recent years, even a bit less. Definitely not a lot of fun. It means spending your nights at home posting on Thai360 (which explains my post count). :(

He didn't say 10K baht, you notice. Maybe he means A$10K or 10K Lao kip.

:dunno:

I've lived on 20K baht in Bangkok some months in recent years, even a bit less. Definitely not a lot of fun. It means spending your nights at home posting on Thai360 (which explains my post count). :(

I hear you! Have been going through the same this year. Not much fun. Not as bad as in 2001 or so though when I survived a month or 2 on barely 5000 baht.

W

10K baht and I live well - no rent - so pretty much food only - cheap here in village - beer 360 a carton that lasts me two weeks on average.

10k - in farang money is still a fair bit compared to many Thai's!

I appreciate the feedback so far; however, I don't however equate 'cheap' with 'boring'. I am going to take a quick read of the link stick provided and finish my post.

My goal here is to drop 20 pounds. Moving back to the United States of Gigantic Servings Covered with Cheese wreaked havoc on my fitness factor over the last 27 months. The thai diet and heat would be perfect for this purpose. I find that when I make drastic setting changes like this I can often snap into a new routine.

Can one just go fishing in Thailand? Is there a license required? I'm not really looking to eat the fish i catch. Fishing has emerged as my favorite thing to do with my free time.

I have always enjoyed snorkeling....would trat be a cheap place to live? Rayong is a good suggestion, thanks. Maybe cambo or vietnam would be cheaper.

Plan B would be to spend 6 months on my bicycle here in the states. I've got all the gear I need I would just need to head south early enough to avoid the winter.

I would need wifi...maybe not full time....is anyone able to tether their phone to the laptop? who is your provider and associated costs?

Archived