absolute minimum

buddha

I have always enjoyed snorkeling....would trat be a cheap place to live? Rayong is a good suggestion, thanks. Maybe cambo or vietnam would be cheaper.

I am not sure if Cambo is really cheaper than LOS, especially if you are looking for Western stuff for daily life (Shampoo, e.g.). Also Cambo has only one beach...

BTW Khmer food is really bland and can't be compared to Thai food at all - which might increase costs since you might eat (expensive) western/Thai food more often.

Also, in case you fall seriously ill in Cambo, the next good hospitals are in BKK - don't forget health insurance, riding a bike might not be the most secure way of transport, neither in LOS nor in Cambo.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW we couldn't nail down a government contract here - we are still working in Cambodia, Philipines soon we hope and Africa on good projects but not spending money in Thailand. So pulled the pin on Thailand but I don't want to move so staying in village working from there being careful with $'s.

Allistar - "I think that Doc Thai was refering to CTO with his question."

Ahhh, now it makes sense. Thanks.

Flashermac - "Got him his visa, work permit - and 20,000 baht a month salary."

Good advice and thanks but I am not looking to be 'working'. The idea here is to change my lifestyle completely so that I can shed the beginnings of what could one day be a prolific gut. Can you suggest an ideal isaan setting where I might be able to do so.

Kamui - "riding a bike might not be the most secure way of transport, neither in LOS nor in Cambo."

I am an accomplished cyclist. I would be riding for fitness related reasons and not transport. I would like to be in a situation where I was situated close enough to a 'store' or 'cart vendors' where I could walk to get supplies. The proximity to Cambo would help out with keeping visa runs cheap and hassle free. I will certainly have health insurance.

Let me throw into the mix that I would like at least some gym facilities nearby. Nothing fancy. I could even due with a set of dumbbells from Big C, Lotus or Carrefour. A Muay Thai training facility or gym would be a big plus as well.

Still trying to narrow down the best place. Are there any suitable places between Trat and Pattaya? I would like to be outside of the Pattaya scene. How cheap could one go there? Seems like a recipe for disaster, no?

Buddah,

I cannot answer your question my friend, I have this built in safety valve that "Pops" if I see my income dropping below 100K THB / Month and like a Squireel in Autum fux off back to Middle East to get the nest eggs.

Apart from that good luck, your postings about your initial soire in Thailand that you posted about 3-4 years ago had me in stitches, back then I was nodding my head at the screen and tut tutting "Been There Done it" attitude, this forthcoming trip will be your second stepping stone just make sure you don;t slip.

Cheers

I don't have anything to add as far as inexpensive living. Except to latch onto some gal who has a sponsor outside country. There are many, you just have to find one.

But beyond all this. Discipline yourself and keep a journal. Take notes on everything. Write down all expenses. Write down all.

I sense a good book here.

Good Luck!

I don't have anything to add as far as inexpensive living. Except to latch onto some gal who has a sponsor outside country. There are many, you just have to find one.

But beyond all this. Discipline yourself and keep a journal. Take notes on everything. Write down all expenses. Write down all.

I sense a good book here.

Good Luck!

Why set ones sights so low? Many "well to do" Thai females between puberty and menopause are looking, unfortunately I met the lookers after I met my wife!

....I am an accomplished cyclist. I would be riding for fitness related reasons and not transport....

So you want some hills nearby so you can get a good workout on the bike.....Also don't forget your helmet.

Last time you were in Thailand buddha, you drove a motorcycle, no insurance, etc. Maybe this time you should get some insurance?

buddha,

trat/cambo might be good start & then up north in the mountains.

you could also try ranong/burma or somewhere up there in phang nha area with access to phuket as 'backup' for hospitals, supplies whatever.

in trat, chantaburi or rayong on east coast you could do well also & pattaya would be your 'backup'.

alternatively there's isan with lao/nong khai mentioned as good bet while closer to bkk is khao yai/pak chong in khorat province (~2hours from bkk) & not that high mountains, but plenty of biking opportunities, fishing whatever, but low on snorkeling!

enjoy!

Archived