Naturalized U.S. Citizen Deported?

Steve

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Extradition as noted above.

A naturalized US Citizen can be deported but prior to that he needs to be denaturalized. If someone commits a crime before they are naturalized and then are convicted after they are naturalized, Immigration can put the individual in proceedings for revocation of US citizenship and then removal proceedings. Not the most common occurrence but it does happen.

it dosen't have to be legal when going up aginst the gov' date=' if you can't afford a good lawyer you'll get screwed over every time[/quote']

Exactly!

And that is why I carry a tube of KY in my back pocket!

And here I'd been thinking you were advertising. :neener:

HH

You will find, as a previous poster has alluded to, he has been extradited.

If you commit a crime that is serious enough, in most, if not all western countries there are no time limits on crimes, and most countries will extradite you back to your previous country regardless if you have been naturalized in another country. There are laws between countries that assist in it.It is quite common.

Once he has served his term, if found guilty, he will then be deported back to the USA.

For example, for Australia see:

Link

True to a point. I think France and maybe a few other countries will not extradite you to the USA (maybe to other countries as well) if you are facing the death penalty.

I think I have to clarify things. He committed insurance fraud in the U.S. He is British born but became a naturalized U.S. citizen. One would assume that he stand trial in the U.S. However, my mom said my cousin was 'deported'. Her words. She's up there in age so I assume she's got it wrong. I recall meeting him when I was a little boy. He lived in NYC and came to visit us in Philly for a few summers but have not seen him since.

The worrying thing for me was that IF true and I don't know if it is that a naturalized U.S. citizen can be sent back to their native country. The citizenship is worth nothing then? What can stop a Thai wife who became naturalized from not being sent back?

...The citizenship is worth nothing then? What can stop a Thai wife who became naturalized from not being sent back?

If she does one of the following, then yes, a Federal Court Jusdge can take away your Thai wife’s citizenship:

Link

1.Convicted For An Act Of Treason Against The United States

2. Holding A Policy Level Position In A Foreign Country

3.Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces If That Country Is Engaged In Hostilities Or At War With The United States

4.Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces As An Officer Or A Non-Commissioned Officer

5.Lying To The USCIS During The Naturalization Process

6.Refusal To Testify Before Congress About Your Subversive Activities

Fortunately, it’s not as easy to take away your citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization as the law reads. Even if you were not entirely truthful or forthcoming during the naturalization process, the USCIS just can’t arbitrarily revoke your citizenship. Citizenship is one of those fundamental rights that our third branch of government (the judicial branch) takes very seriously. It appears the USCIS runs into difficulty with the federal courts when the USCIS revokes someone’s citizenship without giving the accused his or her day in court (no matter how blatant the violation of the law, see - Challenge to INS Denaturalization procedure ).

In other words, the only way you are going to lose your US citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization is in a federal court and by a federal judge, who is appointed for life, makes good money, and is answerable to no politician or government bureaucrat no matter how on popular the judge's decision turns out to be.

...The citizenship is worth nothing then? What can stop a Thai wife who became naturalized from not being sent back?

If she does one of the following' date=' then yes, a Federal Court Jusdge can take away your Thai wife’s citizenship:

Link

1.Convicted For An Act Of Treason Against The United States

2. Holding A Policy Level Position In A Foreign Country

3.Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces If That Country Is Engaged In Hostilities Or At War With The United States

4.Serving In Your Native Country’s Armed Forces As An Officer Or A Non-Commissioned Officer

5.Lying To The USCIS During The Naturalization Process

6.Refusal To Testify Before Congress About Your Subversive Activities

Fortunately, it’s not as easy to take away your citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization as the law reads. Even if you were not entirely truthful or forthcoming during the naturalization process, the USCIS just can’t arbitrarily revoke your citizenship. Citizenship is one of those fundamental rights that our third branch of government (the judicial branch) takes very seriously. It appears the USCIS runs into difficulty with the federal courts when the USCIS revokes someone’s citizenship without giving the accused his or her day in court (no matter how blatant the violation of the law, see - Challenge to INS Denaturalization procedure ).

In other words, the only way you are going to lose your US citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization is in a federal court and by a federal judge, who is appointed for life, makes good money, and is answerable to no politician or government bureaucrat no matter how on popular the judge's decision turns out to be.

Still a scary thought. I have always thought native born or naturalized you are the same in all things except being able to be President. Has it always been like that? I am very surprised. I did not think there was any way a person can 'lose' citizenship without their giving it up voluntarily. I also assume that this only applies to naturalized, right? If you're born in the country you can't have your citizenship taken, right?

Archived