Wai?

Coss

Link

I had to check that I wasn't reading a NOTTHENATION article, but this is real and from the Bangkok Post.

Respect MPs memo 'was not an order'

Writer: AEKARACH SATTABURUTH

Members of the House of Representatives have come under fire over an alleged order requiring parliament officials to show more respect towards MPs.

It is understood the order was issued in a secretariat memo circulated among officials attached to parliament.

Sources said it had been issued based on an observation by a House committee vetting the budget bill for 2010 fiscal year, although a committee member denied it.

House of Representatives secretary-general Pitoon Pumhiran said the issue arose from a misunderstanding.

On Wednesday, a director of the central administration attached to the Secretariat of the House of Representatives sent a memo to agencies under the secretariat.

Citing observations made by the House committee that some parliament staff did not show enough respect to MPs, the memo reminded them of their obligations towards elected representatives.

Mr Pitoon insisted the memo was not an order to be imposed on the officials. The memo had merely compiled suggestions and complaints aired by MPs during a House panel meeting deliberating the budget bill. Some MPs had complained officials were not showing them enough respect.

Mr Pitoon said it was his duty to receive the feedback and find ways to make improvements based on suggestions made by MPs.

[color:brown]Mr Pitoon stressed that parliament staff were not obliged to wai MPs as a gesture of respect, although he said it was in keeping with tradition to show respect to each other[/color].

Puea Thai Party MP for Yala Sugarno Mata admitted he had floated the idea for parliament officials to respect and wai MPs.

Puea Thai MP for Chachoengsao Thitima Chaisaeng, who sat on the House budget panel, said the alleged order had tarnished the reputation of parliament as a whole. [color:brown]She thought it was wrong to force parliament staff to grovel to MPs.[/color]

That's so silly. If you're Thai and you're interacting with people in government (or in academia), everybody wais each other, it's just common courtesy and respect...it's not "groveling".

On the other hand, farangs should NEVER wai bargirls (or other service industry workers)...I hate when I see that!

In one Carabao music video a Thai gal is out with her Farang boyfriend. The idiot Farang wais a boy of about 12, who appears very confused as a result.

I will return a wai from a BG. I always respond to a wai or salute from anyone. But I don't go wai-ing every BG or mamasan in sight, any more than I would go around with a collection of Buddhist amulets around my neck like some idiots. :p

FM, I would agree with you there. I, too, will return a wai. Perhaps my 'Yeah, That' response was a little vague.

A wai is a form of respect/ greeting and is typically initiated by someone younger to someone older. Not the other way around. It can also apply across social standing. In the case of service staff at a restaurant or such, you are the customer and therefore they wai to you. It is good manners to return the wai. The height of the wai is also important, chest height being about the norm. Never higher than what they do.

If I am not greeted as such, I am usually inclined to turn around and go back out the door.

Sigh. Been here too long. ;):beer:

Compare a "wai" to a military salute - the junior wais the senior. Is an enlisted serviceman grovelling by saluting commissioned officers? Is an LT grovelling by saluting a colonel? Thitima has her head up her arse.

What if the older person is out ranked by the younger person? Military protocol? Also, in a social gathering of military people, is it wais or salutes or both? I have seen Military people meeting for lunch, Wais seemed to prevail, other times it seemed salutes...just wondering...

Also, regarding Waing service workers...I was told if it is a greeting upon entering, or maybe exiting, then it is ok to wai back, if they wai first...in fact I was told a wai should always be returned, except in certain circumstances, and those got complicated...got that from my teachers here.

I remember Josh and a few others saying Thais would think us fools if we waid back, as we always did it wrong...yet, at the temple here, we were told to always wai certain people, important board members, Monks, all the teachers etc...so I really have no clue on the matter, and will again take my clues from Thai people in that situation...when in Rome, or this case Krung Thep...

Archived