OBAMA BOWS BEFORE JAPAN'S EMPEROR

Flashermac

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outrage in Washington over Obama's Japan bow

News photos of President Barack Obama bowing to Japan's emperor have incensed critics here, who said the US leader should stand tall when representing America overseas.

Obama on Monday was in China, having wrapped up the Japan leg of his Asia trip two days earlier. But Washington's punditocracy was still weighing whether or not the US president had disgraced his country two days earlier by having taken a deep bow at the waist while meeting Japan's Emperor Akihito.

Political talk shows have played and replayed the moment from the second day of Obama's week-long Asia tour, which set the blogosphere on fire and chat show tongues wagging.

"I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate for an American president to bow to a foreign one," said conservative pundit William Kristol speaking on the Fox News Sunday program, adding that the gesture bespoke a United States that has become weak and overly-deferential under Obama.

A clever distraction by Obama? :hmmm:

[

I think that's right. There's a strong anti-royalist thread running through American history.

Funny thing is I can see a streak of envy too. A lot of Americans are fascinated with the British Monarchy for instance. Maybe, just maybe, there's such a thing as Divine Right.

I think you're wrong on both accounts. I've never experienced or heard sentiments of an "anti-royalist" nature. And I'm nearly part of ancient history. :content:

Too, no envy here. Only amusement provided by check-out counter tabloids. 555555

HH

When I worked at LAX, Prince Charles, Lady Di and their first newborn were passing through in transit. Our boss (who was Danish American) had about a dozen of us lined up at a remote pad on the tarmac to greet them.

Just before the plane landed, he instructed us to bow when they disembarked, seriously pissing off a few otherwise loyal employees. He quickly realized he had a potential mutiny on his hands and dropped the idea altogether (I think he asked us to at least smile:-).

Even I was surprised at their immediate and emotional reaction to the thought of bowing to foreign royalty. Wouldn't have bothered me that much, and I'm Irish American.

Edit: The few that were really vocal about it were all older staff (about your generation) and not all of Irish heritage. :p

Well, Obie is in China now. In his Asian Ass Kissing Tour, he had the friggin' gall to say that "his government is committed to spending less and saving more". Maybe Obie is quite the joker. Or maybe just a liar. To our friends outside of the States who may not know, Obie and his commie buddies in Congress are throwing ingots of gold around like they're cunt hairs. Speaking of cunt hairs, where is Obie's next stop? (Good thing Obie is brown in color or his rimming would show up in technicolor.)

HH

Hi,

"Even I was surprised at their immediate and emotional reaction to the thought of bowing to foreign royalty."

I feel the same about bowing, but with regards to any royalty, including the one in my home country. I just don't get that some people are 'better' just because of whom they were born to.

Ones actions will determine whether or not I respect someone, not their birth.

Sanuk!

Well, Obie is in China now. In his Asian Ass Kissing Tour, he had the friggin' gall to say that "his government is committed to spending less and saving more". Maybe Obie is quite the joker. Or maybe just a liar. To our friends outside of the States who may not know, Obie and his commie buddies in Congress are throwing ingots of gold around like they're cunt hairs. Speaking of cunt hairs, where is Obie's next stop? (Good thing Obie is brown in color or his rimming would show up in technicolor.)

HH

At least Obama realises that the US is on the decline, and that ones needs military and also economic allies, exactly why he is - rightly so - kissing ass in Asia.

Without China the US is a dead duck in the water.

BB

[

I think that's right. There's a strong anti-royalist thread running through American history.

Funny thing is I can see a streak of envy too. A lot of Americans are fascinated with the British Monarchy for instance. Maybe' date= just maybe, there's such a thing as Divine Right.

[/quote]

I think you're wrong on both accounts. I've never experienced or heard sentiments of an "anti-royalist" nature. And I'm nearly part of ancient history. :content:

Too, no envy here. Only amusement provided by check-out counter tabloids. 555555

HH

Fair enough Hugh. I was thinking of the image of George III as a tyrant. My own feeling is that he was just a little out of touch. But of course he didn't have the internet.

Mild amusement probably does describe most Americans feelings about royalty.

Without China the US is a dead duck in the water.

BB

I get the idea you're trying to :stirthepo a bit. 5555555555 Actually, Obie and his commie legislators are dead ducks without China. They need bond holders for their endless social programs that also suck taxes from those things that benefit the country more appropriately.

Free Trade and the treaties signed have done more harm to the U.S. than imaginable. We were doing fine up until opening trade on uneven terms.

HH

Archived