U.S. military defends pregnancy punishment in Iraq

TroyinEwa/Perv

<< Different standards for women >>

What gets a woman maximum on a PT test wouldn't even be passing for a man! :(

p.s. We had "shake-n-back" occifers in Vietnam. When I got to my company, I was its fourth university grad. The highest ranking was an E-4. The CO had 1 year of college - and flunked out. The XO had never been, nor had two of the platoon leaders. One LT had studied for 2 years before he was kicked out. Total 3 years of college among 5 commissioned occifers. My first LT in VN asked to extend for CPT. Even though the Army needed captains, they turned him down.

Thank God for the platoon sergeants we had, all of them Korean War vets.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree that the 'job' of military serviceperson is unique and vastly different than say applying for a job as an office worker.

They do certain things and have certain responsibilities that makes that career different.

The basic training where you are subjected to verbal abuse in of itself illegal if you were say some of the things the drill sergeant said if you were in a training program to be a customer service representative for a major company.

The 'no one else does it' reason isn't a good one. Sorry, but so what?

Bringing a human being into this world for the sole purpose to avoid military service has to be one bottom of the barrel things a person can do.

Simple solution: same PT standards for men and women! :)

I worked with a female captain who had joined the California NG right after the Army did away with the Women's Army Corps and replaced them with "female soldiers". She said out of over 20 gals in her BCT unit, only 3 of them made it through training. The Army had to lower the standards drastically for the women to "compete".

p.s. In the WAC's, if you got married ... you got discharged. You had to choose between being a mother and being a soldier.

WACs were great. I used to get pissed off at the "female soldiers" who looked down on the WACs. I'd tell them, "If it hadn't been for the WACs, you wouldn't be in the Army right now." Usually shut them up. The WACs were the female equivalent of the Buffalo Soldiers. They proved they could do the job!

Archived