U.S. military defends pregnancy punishment in Iraq

TroyinEwa/Perv

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I can do is say amazing. You notice, it's just this guy's rules. Nowhere else in the world does this apply. You don't see anything wrong with this, huh?

Nothing wrong with it at all, different rules in combat zones. Pregnancy is voluntary, getting pregnant shows neglect for duty, same as shooting your self in the foot (self inflicted wound) or getting drunk etc...A soldier is responsible for their actions. Combat zones require tighter rules.

All I can do is say amazing. You notice, it's just this guy's rules. Nowhere else in the world does this apply. You don't see anything wrong with this, huh?

See above.

Like I told another former service member......the article says this rule is only this guy's command, not in any other command in the world. I reiterate........idiot.

See above.

A letter on ABC News in response to four leftie women senators attacking the general. It's worth reposting:

As an Army wife, I know many female soldiers are getting pregnant before or during deployment, just to avoid deployment. These soldiers are malingering and should be punished along with the men who impregnate them. The Army has always held women to a lower standard than men in certain respects. What an insult to the truly professional female soldiers out there! These senators are out of line and out of touch with the military. They're just looking for a cause du'jour that will gain them some publicity. I doubt they care about any soldier.

littlebirdy78

6:02 AM

In the Army, it is hands off of anybody in your own chain of command. There can be no suggestion of any coercion by a higher rank against a lower.

The USAF is really tough: no fraternising at all between commission and enlisted personnel. There was an Air Farce occifer with excellent evaluation reports who got booted out when it was discovered he had married an enlisted women. Since he got her pregnant, he could hardly keep it secret - even though she had already been discharged.

Not much sense in trying to argue with non-vets. It's a different world and they have difficulty even imagining it. :dunno:

Troy - not sure why you cannot see the other side on this one.

1st - this directive is only in this combat zone - that's it. We are sending soldiers/sailors/marines/airman/seabees/seals/rangers whatever to fight (right or wrong not discussed here) - so this is not idiotic at all - more like common sense and the idiocy is that this general has to make it a policy at all.

2nd - Armed Services / Uniformed Services - you do have to give up some rights as a member - that is something that is part of being a voluntary member of the services.

3rd - Punishment - seems the actual punishment (if any) is not as serious as some poster advised. But really, any letter of reprimand is a serious career killer.

"He said such punishment could, in the most serious case, include jail time. But soldiers violating the rule so far have received letters of reprimand.

In a statement to ABC News, Cucolo said he would not resort to using the court martial for such cases.

"I see absolutely no circumstance where I would punish a female soldier by court martial for a violation ... I fully intend to handle these cases through lesser disciplinary action," he wrote, according to the ABC report."

Cheers!

Bottom-line, this is a career and no other career in the U.S. would you be jailed for becoming pregnant or impregnating someone. I'll say it again and again.......idiocy.

Yes your opinion is idiotic. Perhaps if you had had the balls to enlist and serve in combat, you'd understand what is required and expected in this difficult situation, and why these people are a cut above the rest.

Archived