where is the baht headed??

gene1944

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, when I knew for sure, i could make shitloads of money!

But the exchange rate is highly influenced by the direction of both economies and the trade between the countries.

The prospects for a rebounce of the USA economy on this moment are more likely as the Thai economy. In the short term this will be in favour of the US$.

On the long term we will see the big impact of the economic policy of the Thai government and a strong economic growth in Thailand, which will be favourable for the Thai bath. Only minor problem is that no-one knows when and which government. laugh.gif

My advice would be: keep your US$ in US$. Only transfer to Thailand what you really need.

I believe you can have a U.S.-dollar account, but only at certain banks? Bank of America would probably be one. You could hold a bunch of dollars here, then exchange when you want, if that is true.

Yes, da baht has been holding it's own and slowly appreciating versus the $. Most say it's because of the Yen.

It's also been hampering exports. Least that's the latest round of talks in the busienss section. Personally, I think it's a crock excuse for the decline in exports because the appreciation hasn't been dramatic in % terms, volatile in any way, nor shocking.

Yes you can open a $ account, but you have to find the right bank. I visited over 20 branches. The closest I came to was one in Siam Square, but I would have to show that I've been a resident for a year or have a work permit. Note, I did not try the TFB on Soi 33 where I hear it is possible with the 5k deposit.

In any case, the amounts you are thinking to move are probably quite small and you really wouldn't benefit unless there is really a wide swing.

I would suggest that you keep your account in the west. Use ATM and internet banking to work your account. With the right bank, you don't get charged fees for atm usage. You can open a local baht account and keep money in that as well just in case you lose your ATM. Much easier.

Also don't have to worry about repatriating your money if you decide to leave.

One thing regarding the longer term outlook. The current governemnt is looking to a new soverign debt issuance. Mainly to refinance existing debt for a lower interest cost (that's what's written). But be warned that there is a new debt bill being considered by the government which would make it much easier for the government to borrow money. The government is shortly going to be strapped to fund it's populace programs. It's aiming to increase domestic debt. With the new bill, it will probably increase sovereign debt as well which will raise the eyebrows of the rating agencies. At which point they will be put on credit watch and yah know what happens then...

Ah well, no use looking into the crystal ball...

<<burp>>

Archived