Haiti

bust

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't Haiti have the unenviable distinction of being the poorest country in the western hemisphere?

If there ever is a country that didn't need this and a country that would be my rare exception to be invaded, taken over and part of the American doctrine of 'nation building' its Haiti.

Khun Bust...the import tax preference is a bit of trivia few probably know about. There are some provisons in U.S. law which allow the import of some articles assembled in Haiti which incorporate U.S.-made components. Also, some textiles/apparel are allowed into the U.S. tax free.

Man, I look at the devastation on TV and on the net and I can't think of anything worse happening to those folks. They barely had a pot to piss in and then something took even that away.

IMO, Haiti will always be poor. It is in the bottom five countries in the world in terms of per capita income (about $400/year).

HH

Khun Bust...the import tax preference is a bit of trivia few probably know about. There are some provisons in U.S. law which allow the import of some articles assembled in Haiti which incorporate U.S.-made components. Also, some textiles/apparel are allowed into the U.S. tax free.

Man, I look at the devastation on TV and on the net and I can't think of anything worse happening to those folks. They barely had a pot to piss in and then something took even that away.

IMO, Haiti will always be poor. It is in the bottom five countries in the world in terms of per capita income (about $400/year).

HH

Thanks for clarifying that and yes you are right it is an obscure thing but stuff like that sticks in my mind.

Funny though how the poorest are usually the most resilient. In ecology, the term resilience is used to mean the ability of populations to rebound after a shock to the system. Some physcologists think that populations exposed to minor shocks are better equipped to handle the once-in-a-lifetime, catastrophic shocks. It’s the scientific form of the adage “What doesn’t kill you makes you betterâ€Â, I suppose.

Archived