Haiti

bust

I read an article once attributing the hardiness of Americans historically to a sort of Darwinian process.

The way over for the milliions of european immigrants was very strenuous. Many died on the way from all kinds of things. Pact in steerage, with little food, ventilation, bathroom facilities, etc. The ones that made it were the strongest.

Same goes for the middle passage of slaves that made it to the U.S. They were obviously under even worse conditions.

The result being a country made up of folks who can survive just about anything.

It took a certain sort of person in the 17th and 18th centuries to be willing to pull up stakes and go off to a distant land and take one's chances. These folks weren't the conquistadors out for easy riches. They knew it would be dangerous and hard work.

As to the unwilling African "immigrants", I've read that only the healthiest were chosen. Children, the sick and the elderly were left behind. Then only the healthiest of them survived the passage to the New World.

Also, just something like 20% of the Africans came to what is now the US. The rest went to the Caribbean and Latin America. But African Americans now make up 40% or more of the African-origin population of the Americas. Slave life in the United States was hardly pleasant, but was tolerable. In the rest of the New World it was often fatal. Read the history of Haiti and you'll see that Haitian slaves were dying faster than their birth rate. A constant input of new slaves was required to keep the plantation economy growing. No surprise that the slaves finally rebelled against the comparitively small number of French slave owners.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The result being a country made up of folks who can survive just about anything.

Yes indeed. As long as they have their organic wheatgerm supplements, reduced fat products,low sodium cookies, trans-fat free hamburgers, gluten-free-antibiotic-travel-sickness pills, health insurance, innoculations, nearby hospital and clinic, dog and cat-free environments, no smoking anywhere, 3G mobile 'phones', 24 access to the nearest US embassy....

Well 'ard!

Guest lazyphil

wow thats original CW, find an negative angle using an american (yes a lunatic) on such an awful heartbreaking event. shame on you, sad old man.

Guest lazyphil

pat robinson isn't relevent, a nobody, why raise him, why????....why not mention the us military mobilising a huge aid effort??...no, because its not on the agenda.

wow thats original CW, find an negative angle using an american (yes a lunatic) on such an awful heartbreaking event. shame on you, sad old man.

Now who's mindreading phil? Obviously what's happening in Haiti is horrible. Robertson's comments are all over the news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8460520.stm

If the BBC can mention it it seemed worth mentioning on this thread. You can be so silly sometimes. Here's an update on the relief efforts for you...not very upbeat I'm afraid....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

Guest lazyphil

Well i did not see him mentioned on (TV)channel 5 news, bbc or sky. who gives a toss what some deranged god fearing lunatic thinks, he's not news worthy and should not be given any news space wherever it is!...

yes, i know it looks utterly appalling there, unimaginable.

Well i did not see him mentioned on (TV)channel 5 news, bbc or sky. who gives a toss what some deranged god fearing lunatic thinks, he's not news worthy and should not be given any news space wherever it is!...

Well I hate to break it to you phil but Robertson is regarded by many as a major religious figure especially among Southern Baptists. He has a lot of clout. I think he even owns some radio stations. Censoring him would be very un-American.

Archived