Why Americans vote against their own interests

robaus

If its property tax on a house that you own in the U.S., why not sell it and get (if you haven't used it already) the one time tax exemption on capitol gains on the house. It could be worse. For the last 36 years, I have been self employed. I have had to pay the entire amount of my S.S., medicare taxes and, if I had bought it, would have had to pay an over-inflated price for health insurance, with no deduction on my taxes (like employers get for employee health insurance, not to mention employees that get health insurance pay no income tax on that benefit). The trade off is I have never had to play the corporate game or kiss a** to get or keep a job.

US housing market is in the toilet, sell now and lose-lose-lose!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won't argue the point that most Americans have health insurance but that doesn't justify denying it to the 30 million plus Americans that don't have it.

I don't think anybody is denying insurance coverage for those who are in decent health. If somebody is sick, it ain't insurance. "Insurance", by it's nature, is for an event/issue that has not yet taken place. (For example, with the dealer showing an Ace in 21; or a driver of an automobile; or a house located in a flood zone.)

FWIW, I don't think anybody should be denied health insurance. Companies should be forced to take all-comers. But policies which cover high-risk patients should be pooled and payments be made by a group of insurers, so no single company gets hammered. Too, in exchange for taking on high risk persons, insurance companies should be allowed to charge higher premiums, just like they do for flood zone homeowner's insurance and shitty drivers. I don't think insurance companies should be able to cancel insurance after a person gets sick.

HH

I won't argue the point that most Americans have health insurance but that doesn't justify denying it to the 30 million plus Americans that don't have it.

I don't think anybody is denying insurance coverage for those who are in decent health. If somebody is sick' date=' it ain't insurance. "Insurance", by it's nature, is for an event/issue that has not yet taken place. (For example, with the dealer showing an Ace in 21; or a driver of an automobile; or a house located in a flood zone.)

FWIW, [b']I don't think anybody should be denied health insurance.[/b] Companies should be forced to take all-comers. But policies which cover high-risk patients should be pooled and payments be made by a group of insurers, so no single company gets hammered. Too, in exchange for taking on high risk persons, insurance companies should be allowed to charge higher premiums, just like they do for flood zone homeowner's insurance and shitty drivers. I don't think insurance companies should be able to cancel insurance after a person gets sick.

HH

[color:red]I never thought I would see the day HH spouts progressive/liberal beliefs.[/color]

This is the new post-Scott Brown bipartisan Hugh Hoy. ;) The State of the Union speech got to him. Let's all work together. Soon he will start slagging Sarah Palin and the tea parties.

Just to remind you that, as I referenced before, according to the politcal compass posted a few months ago, I'm the most moderate dude on the board. :content:

HH

This is the new post-Scott Brown bipartisan Hugh Hoy. ;) The State of the Union speech got to him. Let's all work together. Soon he will start slagging Sarah Palin and the tea parties.

Just to remind you that' date=' as I referenced before, according to the politcal compass posted a few months ago, I'm the most moderate dude on the board. :content:

HH

[/quote']

Are you as moderate as Senator John McCain?

Before the election, Conservatives called him a liberal because of the Immigration bill he and Ted Kennedy were working on.

Sometimes it just gets shoved down your throat...no voting necessary!

Next in Line for a Bailout: Social Security

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/108747/next-in-line-for-a-bailout-social-security?mod=fidelity-readytoretire

Don't look now. But even as the bank bailout is winding down, another huge bailout is starting, this time for the Social Security system.

A report from the Congressional Budget Office shows that for the first time in 25 years, Social Security is taking in less in taxes than it is spending on benefits.

Instead of helping to finance the rest of the government, as it has done for decades, our nation's biggest social program needs help from the Treasury to keep benefit checks from bouncing -- in other words, a taxpayer bailout...

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Can anyone provide me any indication we will get out of this mess?

I don't see how.

Steve...you don't know? Merely vote for Obama again in 2012. Hopefully' date=' by then, [u']change[/u] will have occured, "the path" should be well established and, as if by some miracle, all will be heavenly.

HH

Hahaha,

It might even happen, that the GOP will win the next election, even though (or because?) Palin is on the ticket. She would almost probably the most anti-elitist president ever:

un-traveled

un-educated

un-interested in the world

and an extremely narrow worldview based on the ideology of right wing christians.

:content:

[color:red]If Sarah Palin runs for President - I probably will vote for her.[/color] Everything is a joke anyways!

How long will it take her to get the country in the black, taxes lowered to almost zero, and a new car in everybody's driveway?

[color:red]Say........ 3 weeks 2 days....... and then she will quit and go rogue lie rogueyam[/color].

Firstly, the signs are already clear that Barak Osama will be a 1 term Pres. As to voting for Sara Palin, the hockey Mom, sorry mate, off with your head!

Archived