The Poll (Heineken not McD's). Is LOS too expensive to drop an airfare

Coss

The Poll (Heineken not McD's). Is LOS too expensive to drop an airfare on?

In the spirit of the thread - "AMAZING THAILAND, AMAZING VALUE" - I hereby tender a Poll that will compare the relative cost of a 330ml bottle of Heineken, where you are now, in Bht.

Do not choose an option if you are in LOS, but please post the cost of a Heineken separately.

The aim is to see if LOS sanuking prices have become too inline with the west.

Here's a currency convertor Link

People I know are considering moving from and not going to LOS because of the price of a night out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after a number of votes, we will see if the cost in lands other than LOS is really a lot higher, a little bit, or if LOS is only cheap for shirts and up country pussy.

Cheers

Coss

Thailand is quickly pricing itself out of the market, or my market anyway. We have had the debate before, but in the last 5-10 years or so, hotels have shot up, drinks have shot up, and the price of pussy has just gotten crazy. Almost all of the aforementioned items have increased by 100%+. Factor in the lower conversion rates and it gets worse.

10 years ago:

Room at the federal was 900 bht

drink was 60bht-80bht

short time was 500bht

longtime was 1000bht

BAR FINE 300-500

5 years ago:

same room at federal was 1200bht

drinks were 90-120bht

short time was 1000bht

long time was 1500bht

BAR FINE 400-500

now adays:

room at federal is 1500+

drinks are going for 140-160++

short time SOME ASKING 1500-2500

Long time SOME ASKING 3000+

bar fines 500-700-1500

ST/LT prices are ridicules and require a lot of bargining with some girls, and some girls don't budge on the prices...though they did seem more reasonable last time.

Cost of a massage parlor or apartment in call in my area starts at $140/hr. figure in 2 drinks before had...Maybe $10-14. So a cheap quicky is around $150-$160.

LETS TAKE THE HIGH END IN LOS... 2 drinks at 160 each=320bht, roughly $10usd... a girl demanding 2500, roughly $80usd, bar fine of 700, another $30. Assuming a short time room is used another $10 or so about $130usd...saving only $30. Figure in airfare and well...

Now take the Soi 33 prices...and you are at or above the price here in my area...

Ok the game can still be played cheaper I agree, but as long as guys keep paying the stupid prices it will continue to get out of hand. The shit economy may help correct "the market" but it will get out of hand again when/if things improve.

I know guys who proudly pay the high prices claiming "you could never get a girl like this at home for this price...you're just a cheap Charlie..." Then they show you a picture of some fat ugly beat hag but hey...some guys are happy for ANY pussy they can get and go nuts the 10 minutes they are away from home/the wife and reality...other guys love throwing money around in a bad economy to show they "have it," while others are losing jobs and enduring economic hardship. I don't expect it to improve.

I am looking to rent an apt or condo and finding the cost is just silly money!

Way the hell out in Bangna, a crap 2-bedroom is 8000 Baht and they quickly go to 20000 Baht!

Condos to rent around Soi 71, sgart at 25000 Baht!!

Condos near the On Nut BTS, start at 35000 Baht...WTF!!!

I went south 40Km in Samut Prakan and saw a crap 2 bedroom townhouse out in the of absolutely nowhere and they wanted 3000 Baht...and I mean it was 10Km from anywhere.

So yes, LOS is/has priced itself out of the market place for many people.

I overheard a group of backpackers also saying that LOS was not and option to stay any length of time, they were better off in Laos or Cambodia.

Coss,

Your Poll is Flawed since you have not stipulated the premises in which said Heineken is to be purchased. Even in and around Bangkok one could pay anywhere from the lower end to the top end of the scale, depending if in a local cafe, Thai Bar, Wesern Bar, Go Go Bar or 5 Star Hotel Bar.

Coss,

Your Poll is Flawed since you have not stipulated the premises in which said Heineken is to be purchased. Even in and around Bangkok one could pay anywhere from the lower end to the top end of the scale, depending if in a local cafe, Thai Bar, Wesern Bar, Go Go Bar or 5 Star Hotel Bar.

I went for 180B, $6 which is about right for front bar price for a small bottle of "imported" beer... usually made in Oz under license.

I had a visitor here this month who was drinking large Leo beer for 80B in smaller restaurant type situations. Cheap drinking I thought.

Laos and Cambo sound like heaven on earth until you are actually there. Luang Prabang might be worth a shot, but if so many are raving about the place I suspect that its paradise lost.

Good point that raises the question:

Where is there still paradise to be found? Cheap beer, beautiful girls at good prices, free society, good affordable medical care? I would love to know!!! :content:

S1

Luang Pabang is on the backpacker highway, but even so I doubt if there are that many of them. Laos appeals to some ... I'm one of them. But others would consider anything quieter than Pattaya not worth a visit. :dunno:

p.s. Big Heinecken at a Bangkok 7-Eleven: about 65 baht.

Archived