Suits

skirtlifter

My brother ... wants to buy cashmere and silk suits. ...

so he's a pimp? pusher? boiler-room operator? bit-actor in miami vice-style videos?

:rotfl::rotfl: a silk suit :rotfl::rotfl:

if you cared about your brother, you just might want to mention to him that silk/cashmere suits are hmmmmm, just perhaps, you know, welllll, let's say, how to put this, ahhhhh "passe", "at best, so 80's" etc bla bla...

:rotfl::rotfl: a silk suit :rotfl::rotfl:

Though a yellow silk suit combined with a red tie should impress the crowd .

What Mr. Skirtlifter's brother is after might probably be a cashmere/silk woven material which is mainly used for upmarket sweaters . It sounds expensive but depending on the qulity it could also be cheap and start to wear very soon .

Well you know Aussies. They seem to have their heads buried in the past. Not sure why he wants them. Just ended a long marriage and perhaps sees it as a way to impress the ladies. Nothing queer about him and would not advise you say as much to his face. The lad can fight. His money. His problem. :happyeaster: :beer::wave:

I have purchased a few - what some might consider - odd ball clothing.

My 'tourist/Hawaii' shirt. I wanted all flowers - pattern.

Well, many tailor shops have two sides. Mens/Womens.

I found a nice flower pattern - on the women's side - in one shop off Sukhumvit.

The Indian/Pakistan/ retailer kept stating to me that this was 'lady' material. 'No shirt - lady material'.

I had the shirt made anyway. And it is quite the conversation piece whence I wear it.

But back to suits. Travel a bit off Sukhumvit down the side soi's and the prices do drop some. Quality? I couldn't tell the difference between a backstitch and a catchstitch. All of my suits are still together. But some have shrunk - or - I have expanded.

I had a suit made at Rajah Taylor on Sukhumvit Soi 4, less than 50 meters past Nana Plaza. The quality was good, although I suspect they are not the cheapest in BKK.

There is Raja's that is actually in front of Nana Plaza (back door of the shop basically exits into NP). The shop definitely isn't the cheapest, but they produce very good quality garments. Usually 3 fittings on suits and 2 on shirts. I'd guess 90% of it's biz is repeat and referral by local expats working for embassies and multi-national corps. I used to get suits and sport coats made there because I knew the quality. Rajawrongse around the corner on Sukhumvit was branched off of Raja's years ago by one of three brothers. The family owns Majestic Suites and (maybe)NP. Old Thai-Indian Sikh family.

HH

Hugh, I cannot say enough good things about Patrick's Fashion Way on Sukhumvit Soi 11.

They're probably pricier than some of the other places, but they have done nothing but outstanding work for me for years. Over the years, they've done I don't know how many dress shirts, five suits (two pair of trousers each), and a very nice tweed jacket. EVERYTHING has been outstanding quality. (And they pleasantly surprised a customs inspector at DFW, when the shirts I told him were Egyptian cotton REALLY WERE!)

And they do free alterations, supposedly for life. I'm losing weight at the moment, so I hauled several pairs of trousers in last trip, and will be doing the same over the next few trips...

Well . . . I guess prices have gone up a tad bit.

I have never paid over US $100.00 for any suit. And I think I paid US $17.00 per tailor shirt - in 3's last trip.

Material. I guess some are connoisseurs on material. I could give a rats ass as to where material was manufactured. And who really knows if English material is really English material. But, I suppose those that know material can tell. I can't.

As stated above all of my suits are still together and in fine shape.

My "Thai Silk" shirts are in fine shape still. No issues with any.

I don't think I have ever used the same tailor shop twice. Only because I don't keep receipts and I can't remember - between trips.

One shop told me all 'tailored' suits are made by Chinese. Boiler room/sweat shops - located in BKK. One shop told me that was ethnic Thai owned - stated that the Thais made the clothing.

I don't use my suits for business - so that may make a difference in cut and quality for some.

My suits now are just for weddings and funerals. And, of course, the conservative suit - for appearance before a judge and jury.

Archived