On Behalf Of the Rural Farang.

Julian2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But you love the romance of the myth of "the poor salt-of-the-earth guy against the big bad urban elite trying to keep him down" don't you? Except that those "urban elite" were the poor of a generation or two ago who worked their way out of it and have no reason to keep anyone down.

blah blah blah blah blah.......whatever.

By the way my "urban elite" friend comes from a single parent family in chonburi and works and studies here in sydney to pay back her very comfortable aunt who sent her here to watch over her spoilt cousin. She comes from a poor family, mum runs a food cart making barely enough to support herself and the other children. So this girl works and has to either send it back to aunt or give to her cousin who spends it on herself along with the healthy allowance she receives from home.

So next time you make assumptions sport be aware that unless you have all the facts......

New board name....same old arrogance.

Nah...when he talks about the "poor" in the U.S., he talks about the big bad elite (common working people) rightfully having their wages confiscated by liberal legislatures and handing it out to the "disadvanged." LK is really a Red Shirt and a Toxin/Obama guy.

HH

So obviously my point has been made. Just more personal attacks. Nothing on the facts.

BTW, if that is remotely true about your "friend" then that's some real nice family there. No wonder the reds are stuck where they are. The Chinese-Thais make sure all of the extended family gets educated, no strings, it is part of being in the clan. Do your "salt of the Earth" red families who are better off actually charge their members to get educated? Or worse, refuse to help? So sad. Yet those jilted folks are pissed off at strangers who have never done anything to them. Why?

And again, if true as presented, she may be on the short end of the stick, but her family is obviously "elite" because they can afford to finance her. You still cannot run away from the fact that if a Thai is abroad studying/working/living, they are part of the <1% elite in the country.

"...a Thai is abroad studying/working/living, they are part of the <1% elite in the country..."

Would this include the handful of Thais I work with? And what about all the women (many of them uneducated ex bargirls) who married farangs and came here ("Farangland") and now work in restaurants waiting tables/cooking, or cleaning houses, or giving massages, or work in small shops etc...? are they now part of the 1% elite?

I would definitely agree, that *Most* students studying abroad are from rich families...hell, my old neighbor had a bigger apartment with a better view, a newer.nicer car and more cash in her pocket...that was the Mormon Thai I wrote about years back...her friend was a broke girl from the south on a scholarship...nice girls, and the class difference didn't seem to matter at all...at least while here.

Weird thing is many of the Thai restaurants in SFO are full of young Thai kids who came here to study, got under the table jobs, and over stayed their visas...obviously someone had the cash to pay their way over here, but if they are part of this mystical "1% elite" then why would they be waiting tables and schleping noodles?

So obviously my point has been made. Just more personal attacks. Nothing on the facts.

The only point made is that as usual you have this "I am right you're wrong" attitude.

Then you question my honesty? :rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl: Pot callling the kettle don't you think :rolleyes:

Weird thing is many of the Thai restaurants in SFO are full of young Thai kids who came here to study, got under the table jobs, and over stayed their visas...obviously someone had the cash to pay their way over here, but if they are part of this mystical "1% elite" then why would they be waiting tables and schleping noodles?

When you think about it, that 1% might well include the hard working restaurant and liquor store owners and the visa overstay students (not the married BGs), all the way up to the likes of Thaksin. I'll give you 2%, max, but, like you, I don't know anything - just what I see here. :dunce:

edit: (what I mean is, if you can secure a legitimate visa and afford the ticket, you're part of the elite)

Archived