Are prices down?

Patella

I've asked this before, but we seem to go through the same gnashing of teeth each time the issue of prices in Thailand, particularly BKK, arises :

How many are prepared to seriously consider Brazil, Indonesia or the PI as an alternative holiday destination ?

I realise that each of these has big disadvantages over the relative safety of Thailand for foreigners (prior to recent events - dont have a crystal ball), and I would be particularly nervous walking around AC or Rio looking for a good time (even more nervous at the prospect of being drunk late at night), but Indonesia has been a pleasant, if crowded, experience for me.

For all the panning Thailand gets, I suspect that the thing that keeps many going back is the very thing that many, particularly expats, become opposed to, and that is the GFE. If you can find the 'right' girl and she realises you are just there for a good time, it can be a sweet deal. We mock their English skills, but most of us can communicate with Thai women - would I be so lucky in Indonesia or Brazil ? While many of the gals in Jakarta spoke English, it's also an expensive place to party.

End of the day, Thailand is a known quantity for many of us : flights and accommodation are usually cheap and God invented FLers for those who dont want to pay that exorbitant barfine. Its a different story for those who live there, but thats a whole other can of worms.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an expat for over 15 years now. When I first came the most girls were friendly, ST almost unknown and Prices have been between 500 and 1000 THB. Today the girls are much more business oriented, often doing only ST and quote prices between 3,000 and 5,000 for a LT.

I don't say the GFE isn't possible at all but it really takes a good portion of luck to experience it. And if you are lucky to find the GFE, in 99% of cases the girl won't ask you such ridiculous amounts but says the famous phrase 'up to you honey' when it comes to remuneration.

I am an expat for over 15 years now. When I first came the most girls were friendly, ST almost unknown and Prices have been between 500 and 1000 THB. Today the girls are much more business oriented, often doing only ST and quote prices between 3,000 and 5,000 for a LT.

I don't say the GFE isn't possible at all but it really takes a good portion of luck to experience it. And if you are lucky to find the GFE, in 99% of cases the girl won't ask you such ridiculous amounts but says the famous phrase 'up to you honey' when it comes to remuneration.

Agreed, and if you add up the cost of meals, the odd t-shirt and drinks all night, the GFE would almost certainly be more expensive over a 2-week period than the odd LT, even at the prices you've quoted, but the good ones have made me smile/laugh for all the right reasons, and isnt that why we go on holidays ?

Of course, when its bad its really bad, but thats a tale for another post.

So then here is the critical question: Did your friend PAY the surcharge or did he take his business elsewhere? If he paid, then why would the owner think anything except what a genius he was and how he should extend the surcharge even when things pick up? (if you'll excuse the expression)

15 years ago the baht was 50% more expensive, so those prices wheren't that good, it was after the devaluation that things got cheap, THOUGH the girls kept the prices the same or higher than before@

Well back then the Baht was fixed against the dollar at 25, now it is between 32 and 33, so just a 50% increase.

Anyway exchange rate fluctuations only affect tourists and to expats who buy imported goods. I don't see much impact for locals.

Apart of the raising prices the attitude is going downhill. If you really looking for a GFE Indonesia or Angeles City, Philippines are the much better places these days.

Anyway exchange rate fluctuations only affect tourists and to expats who buy imported goods. I don't see much impact for locals.

Aren't most expats, employed by foreign companies or retired, remunerated in foreign currencies?

Edit: Just occurred to me that expat packages aren't as common as they were a decade ago. I'll let the question stand anyway.

Archived