Are prices down?

Patella

Bottom line is, we are not Thais, we are farangs, so we look at it as farangs. As noted, the prices are already way to high for the region...in some cases higher than in the USA, so why should they go up when the economy is in the toilet? I am hearing tale of 1000long time again, a good thing. Maybe if all these assholes quit "sponsoring" whores, the girls will go back to earning the money...and we can have a good reasonably priced time...the days of girls demanding 3000 for short time should be long past over, NOT increased to 4000...smart girls would realize that any money is good money. Oddly, some here, who claim to understand Thai culture seem to think raising prices is ok and makes sense...so well, let the expats pay it, because right now, the tourists apparently aren't coming.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, if you are basing your spending decisions around the possibility of 'assholes' changing their behaviour, you could be a very old hippie indeed before that happens. It most definitely isnt restricted to P4P in Thailand - we have the same phenomenon all over Oz. Something to do with young people and disposable income.

I have told this story before about the girl in the rain...but she basically sat there, in the Nana parking lot demanding 2500 for short time...it was raining etc...like 3 a.m. so I picked one, went short time, came back and saw the original pick still sitting there...she was still holding at 2500 claiming "cannot go 1500, cannot..." went inside, ate, watched her, left, and she was still demanding 2500...now like 5 a.m....I explained that had she gone with me, she'd be back waiting for another customer, with 1500 in her pocket...but she wouldn't hear it...

Same story here...a Thai girl working in San Jose...was originally $160 an hour, then %180 etc... reason she kept raising the rates? customers were tipping...so at $160, and a $20 tip, she felt ALL could afford $180...then at $180, many still tipped $20, so up to $200...and so on...around $260 an hour, she had no clue why business had fallen opff. I suggested she lower her prices, as the economy was bad...she replied "...no, cannot not...have bill to pay..." I explained that she had little or no money coming in, and lowering her prices might bring in more revenue... "...no cannot not..." no ryme or reason why she couldn't...she just wouldn't...she finally moved to D.C....

As was recently pointed out "...remember, she has the supply you demand..." well...yeah, but we have the bhat they need, and we have other options. As Thailand is pricing itself way out of the market, the best option might be to stay home and pay the same...hell that way we save the air fare...

Oddly, some here, who claim to understand Thai culture seem to think raising prices is ok and makes sense...so well, let the expats pay it, because right now, the tourists apparently aren't coming.

Well, some of us know that the system here is far different than the West. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities, but it is what it is. The fainting couch is just over there if you feel overcome and need to sit down whilst clutching your pearls.

That doesn't make us who understand this in agreement with the logic. But it does help explain the thought process, if you care to open your mind. Just as there is a thought process behind the rows of shops selling the exact same shit. Doesn't work in the West, but does here in Asia.

You don't have to like it, but you should understand that they think differently here and your thought process may not be any better than theirs. Or it may be, but you ain't gonna change it, so why get your knickers in a knot?

Or maybe you will find that spreading the wealth around *a bit* when things are flat really does get you 10x the ROI in services and perks...because that's how it works here.

Love the arrogant/condescending tone of the post. That aside, I see service or quality of service as having gone down over the years as prices went up. So much for 10x ROI.

Yes I get the fact that the culture is different, and I get what was recently explain in a current newsletter by a bar manager. And we can agree or not, it doesn't change the fact that tourists are staying away, and incomes for many of these girls are most likely down.

Now some are claiming the prices are up, typical of Thai ways, while many recent returnees are telling me just the opposite, that is, the prices are way down.

In short, all I am trying to say is, if Thailand had kept going the way it was going, it would soon be on parity with the west price wise for a beer and a short time, and thus even more would stay home.

As for my knickers in a knot...I am not wearing any today! :neener::neener::neener:

Guest lazyphil

as leanado de caprio (richard?) in 'the beach' said to his mum calling home...'its different here'.....he'd only been in the country 3 minutes, so you dont need to be an old asia hand to realise, its different to the west!!

As for my knickers in a knot...I am not wearing any today! :neener::neener::neener:

Did you forget them at the bath house...or are they out at the laundry?

Mai pen lai...correct me if I'm wrong, but the practice of over-paying has been discussed more than once on the board. It has generally been the concensus that paying inflated prices does not equate with superior results. In fact, the opposite effect may be experienced in the long run. There are just too many factors involved in P4P to conclude that "generosity" will bring "merit" or allow you to CIM.

HH

Cultural issues aside, I think some of the girls simply arent that interested in some Farang. This might be a problem if there werent other girls willing to take their place. I've posted before about the young hottie on SC who demanded 4000 baht to go upstairs, and I have no doubt that she got it on enough nights to make whoring a very profitable endeavour - she just didnt get it from me. For all I know, the price does come down for younger, hansum men - thats life and I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.

Archived