Continuous Quiz - Resurrect your brain cells!

robaus

Hmmm ... I never once went to Soi 16, though I moved into the Big Durian in 1978. I mostly hung around Patpong back then, with occasional visits to Cowboy. Patpong was still in its heyday and I had a regular BG there. I also had some favourite MP gals and tended to stay where I knew I'd have a good time (and what was on the bus routes from my apartment).

I'll sneak in one for the movie fanatics. What Bangkok figure played the sinister Frenchman in "The Deer Hunter"? What was the name of his restaurant and where was it? Should be easy. :D

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The friendly guy from Cavan still didn't say where the restaurant was! He also spelled the restaurant wrong. ;)

NG, the first times I heard GIK was from bar hoppers and BGs. They seem to have picked up on it immediately. I didn't even know what they were talking about and thought they were calling someone a geek! :dunno:

Actually, I can't recall hearing a Thai use GIK in polite conversation even now. I do hear punters saying things in Thai that I'd never heard before. The bar scene does have its own vocabulary. :hmmm:

>>Robaus thinks his thread is being hijacked,

... Apologies, LK, if I gave that impression. No far from it. I may have started the thread, but it's you the contributors who own it.

I simply didn't want it to become restricted to local bar scene knowledge, which may limit the audience.

Some punters obviously do enjoy local bar scene questions, so let the question setter choose his favourite topic.

Bearing in mind that in a quiz the name of the game should be 90% fun for the audience, and 10% for the question master.

One wants to challenge the punters a little, but ultimately one wants them to get the correct answer.

Maybe 2 questions (or more ??) running concurrently will increase the audience choice and participation.

:beer:

Another set of connections. British BMs may find this easier than those from other countries (though those from the USA should be able to get it as well).

1. Two people had hits with A Deck of Cards in the UK. Name them.

2. Who chaired the UK quiz show, Ask the Family?

3. Which of the Brontë sisters wrote the book, Agnes Gray?

4. What does the word suffrage mean?

5. What was Dudley Moore and Peter Cook’s only UK hit single?

What's the connection between all or part of the answers to the above questions?

LE METROPOLITAIN

LE METROPOLITAIN

Restaurant Francais Since 1968

3-20 Third Floor, 999 Ploenchit Road,

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel:656-1102 Pax: 656-1103

Lunch:11.30am - 2.30pm daily

Dinner:6.30pm - 11pm daily

Capacity: 100

Dress Code: Casual

Reservation: Advisable

Menu:A la Carte & Set Lunch

Beverages: Full Bar & Wine List

>>problem is - they all come off web sites it's dead easy to google,

Local knowledge isn't so googilble

I try to write my own questions to make them less googlible, and slightly more of a challenge.

Test drive the question on Google, then change some keywords.

I slipped in an easier one earlier simply to pass on the baton to someone else.

There's an element of fun even in sleuthing and surfing via Google and Wikipedia to try to figure out a connection.... I'm struggling with eyebee's atm.

I noticed in Googling questions already that Thai360 is sometimes hitting the top Google search spot. I was hoping to increase site traffic and possibly attract some quiz nerds (like me) into the forum, where they might learn that there's more to life than quiz nights in farangland :hubba:

NG,LK, and FM Please post a Local Knowledge question to run concurrently with one or more other questions, to keep everyone interested.....I'm all for max sanuk.

:beer:

Archived