Young BKK Students Gone Wild?

cavanami

Luck of the Irish here...was waiting for the bus on Sukhumvit, Soi 95 and a pack of young (13 ~ 15?), male students (school white shirts) came charging across Sukhumvit, several swinging machetes and chasing some other unlucky student.

There was about 20 of them in the pack, knocking people out of there way.

Anything in the news about this? assault/murder around the Suk Soi 95 area, 10 AM yesterday?

Thought I was back on the south side of Chicago again!

Are tech schools sort of like gangs? I remember being in Tawaan Dang one night when the place flooded with these types, apparently the band was a hot one that night. The girl I was with, a Uni grad who builds nuclear reactors, said "lets leave now before the trouble starts." She explained that these guys more less "fight on sight" of one another. Crips and bloods Thai style?

It's been going on for decades, was happening when I first got here. Several of the vocational schools have been permanently closed because the students were so violent. I haven't seen anything in years, but I saw gangs chasing some "no-schoolie" a few times in the 1980s. The government needs to do a lot more - say shut down the school for good every single time it happens. Once the schools are thinned down, it should be a lot easier to keep an eye on them.

Carabao even made a music video about it years ago.

A good thing most Thais are still poor...imagine if all these kids had the money to buy guns

they are dangerous enough like this...

strange that such a widespread phenomenon occurs in Thailand and Japan...-> anyone has an explanation for this?

Might be due to the way boys/males are raised in some Asian countries?

Never heard of a zip gun? The vocational students make them. Sort of mid-19th century looking single shot contraptions with a breech that swings open to the right. Usually, they fire a 5.56mm M16 cartridge, though once in a while they are made to fire a shotgun shell.

As to boys' behaviour, whenever I hear Thai women complaining about them, I quickly shut them up by asking a simple question. "Who raised them?" Obviously, their mother or grandmother did. Men don't raise children in Asia. If women don't like the way Thai males act, then don't effing raise them the way they do! Maybe it is an Asian thing - girls have to be quiet and behave. Boys are wonderful and can do anything they want.

Archived