Need suggestion on great Thai restaurants in BKK

doxx

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I fear your requirements might be somewhat mutually exclusive so far as Thailand is concerned.

Think the Dome and the settng is undoubtedly superb, drnks/wine selection likely to be excellent. Food less so and hardly Tha thnk n most cases.

My personal take is that Thai food is fantastic down n dirty food, not in a literal sense of course, just that it seems to come off tasting and being so much better when everything else about the experience screams 'low rent'. Thai cordon bleu cuisine seems just about the bottom of that barrel, at least to me, YMMV!

As much as anything it depends on the occasion I think. Out to impress the new GF? Have to say if she is a Thai then it may/not work, all depends on which side of the tracks she's from as to whether the food or the peripherals are the significant factor.

Special 'personal' occasion, choose carefully.

I like Baan Kanitha, either Soi Ruam Rudi or Suk 23, the setting, the food and the wine list but I know Thai's who see it as a plastic farang place and would rather eat in less salubrious surroundings where they feel the important details are better attended to.

In the end I fear your request is for the ultimate sports car that does 100 kilometres on a litre of petrol cornering at over 150kph in the wet whilst feeling like you are coccooned in Bentley like splendour. It may exist, but likely not in Bangkok.

Bust put it quite well, Foodland Soi 5 dinner and a show 24/7 with the Soi 7 beer garden for apperetif and Soi 4 for the late night cabaret I'd say.

Any more specifics to go on perhaps?

Ok, so let's take the wine away then.

I'm having a friend over from the US and given he can get whatever food he wants where he lives, I figure either Thai and Chinese. I'd like to show some appreciation for this person so I'm not gonna do some low class joint. I'm also bringing the wife along so it's not gonna be a beergarden full of whores.

Thanks again guys.

Then start looking here. "Sam Worthington" is a obviously a pen name. But he knows more about good food and wine then I ever will! (Even if I could afford it ... :p )

Here is why one uses a pen name in LOS:

<< To me there is one aspect of gastro excellence that is missing. There are no proper restaurant reviewers: or to be more precise you will never read a negative report. The bad are either ignored, or lied about in a pay platitudes write up in a give away publication. The reason for this is the defamation laws in Thailand. Writing a bad review can create massive problems: including potential jail time for the unlucky.

The problem is that defamation is a criminal offence, so anybody thinking they have been defamed starts at the police station. The police will then arrest the accused. Bail will hopefully be set and the case will be heard in a year or two. Damages claimed will be vast and losing the case would not only be expensive but could also mean time inside. >>

http://www.samworthington.com/

http://thailand.samworthington.com/

I'm struggling to think of any highfalutin Thai restaurants as I don't think I've been to any. Anyway I'd agree with Radioman that Thai food suits less pretentious surroundings.

Re. the wine, I think Thais usually drink beer or whisky in restaurants so probably not much call from them for good (expensive) wine lists.

My fav Thai restaurant is still Nyom on Thonglor, but with an open to the street ground floor, metal tables and plastic plates it certainly ain't pretentious.

Baan Khun Mae Thai, located in Siam Square. Nice decor, good food and good service.

I was introduced to the place maybe 8 years ago by a couple of female mid-level executives of a cosmetics company. They were each making in excess of 100,000 baht/month at the time, so could have taken me any place (their treat.) Moderately priced. Below is a review from the net. Unlike the reviewer, I didn't find it crowded with students at all. Mostly business people and those on dates on the several visits I've made. And, unless the Thais I've since taken there were only being polite, they seem to have liked it. It is located one block in from the BTS.

Review:

"Predictably, however, there are a number of good Thai restaurants that cater to the large number of students and Thais working in the area. Ban Khun Mae Thai Cuisine is a two-storey Thai restaurant hugely popular with Thais and tourists alike. Famous for its very good home-style food, be sure to ask for it spicy if you like it that way..."

Baan Kanitha is good also. However, maybe a bit pretentious? Lots of Thai customers and that often speaks for itself. In addition to the Soi 23 and Soi Ruamrudee locations, I think there is also one in the Silom area. Nice atmosphere at both places.

HH

I'll second Vientiane kitchen. For Chinese/Thai (mainly Chinese) I'd suggest Jasmine (?) in Times Sq Building (Princess has been known to eat there) Known for Peking duck, no need to order in advance. You could also just go walk around Yaowarat and see if anything looks good.

I ate an Mango Tree near Patpong a few years back, it was ok, classy food was decent, a tourist place. Either of the La Dalaat Indochine places on Soi 23, Vietnamese food, classy setting, nice decor, Not sure if Ad Makers is still open of not, but they have/had great food and music.

There is/was a seafood place right outside of Lumpinini night Bazaar on the Rama 4 side? near a bunch of pottery places. Sorry don't have better directions, but the food was good.

Archived