Advice Needed: Friend Won't See Writing On The Wall and Come Home

MooNoi

Would I rather spend 30-40 years doing something that I really liked, seeing just about every part of the world and not having to answer to "the Boss?" Or do a boring job, based on my mathematical skills, and possibly living somewhere just for the work? I chose path #1 and have no regrets, with retirement maybe 10-15 years away.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a friend who argued that back in the 1970s. He said the current system sucks. You work and slave all through your youth and middle age making money for when you are old, then when you are old you don't really want to do much of anything. We should enjoy ourselves until we are at least into our 40s, and then go to work for the rest of our lives. :dunno:

live life to the max worry later?

yeah all can only agree that's the way to go, but how to put it into practice?

no matter how you put it we need to do *some* money making activities & thus are bound by them - be it state paid (on welfare & all the restrictions that go with that!), self employed or the majority salary slaving or occasional 'perfect job' ;)

enjoy :beer:

MM...not sure what you're scoffing at. I too worked for an airline and had my pension frozen. No matter how much longer I worked, I would not accumulate any more per year upon retirement. This thread isn't about this but believe me, OH is not exaggerating about being screwed by the man. I was, as well.

I totally understand the philiosophy of "live life while you can, let the future take care of itself" etc.... but what are people like my mate going to do when they're OLD and CAN'T work anymore? :dunno:

I see 35 - 50 as my money-making years and hopefully I'll be able to retire at 50. Still a LOT of years to enjoy myself propping up a bar in Pattaya after that... and hey, I'll fit right in! :grinyes:

Sure, could get hit by a bus tomorrow. :surprised:

But... probably won't. :tophat:

Archived