Advice Needed: Friend Won't See Writing On The Wall and Come Home

MooNoi

Anyway, of course you can have the "I hope I die before I get old" attitude. But most of us will reach 70 easily. So who want't to have a really shitty 10-20 years at the end of the life?

But I am end 40 know, have never been (albeit we have a history of cancer in our family) severely ill, so I guess I might live some more decades.

But I am self-employed and have until recently never paid into a pension fund. If my earnings don't increase much in the near future my retirement life will be rather shallow. :shifty:

Good to try to enjoy life early on as much as possible I feel. You never know really. And really, how much do you need when you are old? If you have national health care, and subsidized housing, old age care from the gov, well, you can't drink much any more, most elders are off the (recreational) drugs :drool: , sex ain't much of a factor any more, so no wasted monies on chasing pooying. A balance is good. Do some stuff here and there you'll remember while rocking in your rocking chair. I see so many men work like dogs until retiring, and then get sick, or even croak before getting a chance to enjoy their retirement years.

Getting old sucks. Enjoy as much as you can while young. And while you are still healthy and hale enough to actually enjoy it! :up::cool::elephant::yay::chili::_party:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see so many men work like dogs until retiring, and then get sick, or even croak before getting a chance to enjoy their retirement years.

Getting old sucks. Enjoy as much as you can while young. And while you are still healthy and hale enough to actually enjoy it! :up::cool::elephant::yay::chili::_party:

That's right too. My father worked 7 days a week only one morning and one afternoon off. And around in total 4 weeks holiday a year. Had his first back OP with 45. With 65 he had a nice house and a second house in the country side and enough money for to enjoy his retirement, because I had prepared selling his business for several years. With 66 he was dead.

That's the problem ... you never know. I had a good friend and former colleague who decided to go off to the Middle East to make some money for his retirement. He worked for years in Saudi, hating the place but loving the money. He had a nice sum already stashed a way - when he died in his sleep at age 38. :(

Precisely ...... for some reason with my lifestyle when I was younger I figured I would never make it past 35 ..... I am now 37. Which is why I had decided to life my life my way.

From when I came back in the Netherlands when I was 16 till the day I left my days were something like this: Work, school, work, party sleep 3 hours repeat cycle.

I would drink a lot mainly wodka and beer and would eat extremely unhealthy: Burgers, Shoarma, Fries, Dutch snacks. Avoiding vegetables were possible! Already at 21 my doctor warned me I was heading for a burnout. To little sleep to much to drink and to fatty food. I cut out the drinking after I was hospitalized for drinking 1,5 bottle of Wodka and an undetermined amount of beer. Which is why nowadays I barely drink at all.

So I always thought I wouldn't make it past 35 and decided to do all the things I wanted to do asap. The problem now is, I have lived most of my dreams, but not all of them. So I have to come up with new ones as I never expected to make it this far. The doctor gave me up till 30 with the life I led. But I am still here kicking and facing the fact that with my healthier lifestyle her in LOS I might actually make 50 at least :p

<>

I'm sorry, but OH would rule that gay

Thing is, and I hate to say something nice about waerth, really! But some of us are trying to be entrepreneurs, my first business at school aged 12, I had to other boys working for me, saved up enough money for a nice xmas trip, school hated it, and oddly I was selling asian "sweets" which my kids buy in the village.

Then as a photographer, then in printing, where I did some of the first digital printing in Australia, years before those chains of photocopy shops.

Ended up age 30 running 83 publications and 7 radio stations, talk about burn out!

But I can't help myself, again, I turned down in April a 240K a year job, for something far less than a tenth of that, because I love the idea of creating a business, sometimes it's worked, often I've been 10 years to soon.

But in the meantime I've, and waerth, and other people who create businesses, have created jobs, the number of man hours I've created is insanely high, but for myself, I have little to show for it, but oddly, I don't want for possessions, I'm happy if I am making a positive impact on the world, and creating opportunity.

And so what if I die in a village in Thailand instead of a nursing home in Australia? The former I can do for a small amount of money, the later costs a lot more, and the end result is the same!

We seem to be focused on "Having to have a western lifestyle", but really, Flash and other who've been here longer than me, you live a life far below a western lifestyle, but your pretty happy, do you want to die in USA/AUst/Eng?

Sorry, I'm happy with what I've done, I'll keep trying to succeed, and along the way I'll educate many good people, and if I die poor, then that's the financial aim I take.

That's the point! You are doing what you want to do NOW, making a life for yourself and others along the way NOW rather than waiting, until you are older when you'd presumably not be able to do it long. Sadly, a lot of people work their whole life to go fulfill some dream/goal when they retire, only to drop dead before they get there.

Still here. Just through with talking about our adventures (all truth, BTW) and then have to listen to the whinging because small minds cannot seem to think there is more than one lifestyle in LoS or think that the cheaper it is, the better the time. Which is just as untrue as the opposite.

(BTW, no venom directed at you OH, just a quick truthful reply to your request)

I agree with what you say, I was actually talking about a certain few, the guys who claimed to make billions on wall street, or from their various factories in China etc...the guys who needed 10K USD a month to retire etc... we haven't heard from those guys much since the economy tanked...I do know a few had to go home...presumeably the trust funds dried up...

Yup' date=' even a short visit to Pattaya will show you how many of those higher quality expats have moved to Thailand already. :beer:

[/quote']

:applause::rotl::rotl: yes you just can't move without tripping over yet another high quality expat down there!

Simie.

Hey, I strongly resemble these negative comments about Pattaya expats! Hmph.

Archived