Advice Needed: Friend Won't See Writing On The Wall and Come Home

MooNoi

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the guy is used to making 100,000 plus, he is going to have a tough time living on 30,000. I'd been a volunteer and was fluent in Thai and familiar with Thai life OUTSIDE the nightlife scene when I decided to stay on. I can do it, but I have to watch my budget and pass up a lot of things I'd like to do.

For someone who has never had to discipline himself over money, it is going to come as a shock to Piggy's friend. Living here will not be nearly as much fun, hitting the bars no more than maybe once a week - if that. Plus he will probably find the kind of teaching job he can get is one that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I wonder how long he will last at it.

Hopefully, the guy has something to fall back upon later. I do, or I wouldn't be here. He's obviously not in a mood to listen now, but maybe he wil be after he tries it his way for a while.

p.s. Why doesn't he look elsewhere in Asia? Singapore, Manila, HK, KL ... all just one hour by air from Bangkok.

Does he realize there is a little part of LOS/Asia in very country.

I remember we spoke once Piggy about the "blues" when arriving home. It quickly disappears once you have someone waiting at home for you.

Maybe you could explain to him there is life after LOS. Is he from here or Salman Rushdie's favourite town? Plenty of available asian girls here in Sydney as you well know.

I don't have any advice. But your mate sounds like an alright guy in my book, and you sound like a good and concerned friend.

Ultimately he's responsible for himself -- and who knows he may surprise everyone and pull something worthwhile off. Or he may struggle and suffer a little. Either way, some learn by living it - in spite of all the advice in the world.

Good luck to both of you.

talk sense? if you had any sense, would you still be living at home , on a 9-5 job bored wondering what could have been? It is the risk takers, the guys who cast it all to chance, take the risk and make shit happen...those are the guys who live the dream, while the rest of us sit at home where it is safe.

The risk takers are those who can and do, those who take the risk to make it happen. Some fail, come up with a new plan and start again...wish I had balls like that.

Where in my post did I advise Piggy to tell his mate to return home to a boring 9-5 existance, I merely said, as has been reiterated by others, to tell him to cast his net wider and to find a position that would afford him frequent trips to Thailand. Working as an unqualified English Teacher in Bangkok and subsidising his income by eating into his investments certainly does not make any sense at all to me.

Having left the UK in my early 20's, lived / worked overseas for over 22 years now, of which for the last 19 I have had a home in Thailand I may know a little about the expat lifestyle and what is required to make a success of it.

I did have the balls to follow my convictions.

Thinking about it, he has no wife or kids here, no responsibilities, he can go home to the dole, because he'll be missing Thailand so much he won't get a job for ages, and go to a bar once a week, or he can work here, go to a bar once a week. If hes single etc, I can see the attraction of staying here.

When I hit the wall last year I was trying a bunch of things to stay alive, but that's me, not everyone has the same yardstick to define happiness or success, maybe he's happier this way . . . .

Haha, he will most definitely NOT just "go to a bar once a week." Your friend is on the slippery slope, my friend, and I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it. He needs to crash and burn on his own.

There are two things that can happen to him:

a) he does the 30,000 baht a month thing and becomes one of those scroungy, pitiful farangs looking for that 500 baht LT super-scuzzy skank crack whore, likely trying out the "crazy drug" himself. he'll lose his job before long. not pretty, but all of us know guys who have gone this route

B) he'll "get a girlfriend" (I can't put enough quotes around that one...so many of the guys on this board think they have a Thai "girlfriend" or "wife", but in reality they're being played like a fiddle) who will manipulate him to death and suck him dry...

long story short: you're a fool to stay in this country a) with a Thai girlfriend or wife and/or B) without a considerable amount of cash. It's Thai society: if you've got the baht, you'll do well. If you don't you'll get shit on. Pure and simple.

Archived