Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

"if you buy a hand gun for home protection why do you need more than 10 bullets for example?"

You have no idea how fast you can go through 10 rounds. Then what do you do, throw it at the bad guys? Especially when an intruder is likely to be more heavily armed than you.

But actually a good home defence weapon is an old fashioned double-barrelled shotgun, the kind with the hammer on each barrel. Keep one barrel loaded with tear gas or bird shot, to deal with a mild situation, and the other barrel loaded with buck shot! And have more buck shot shells in your pockets or strapped onto the stock. A load of buckshot is like being hit with a mini-Claymore mine. Also, the shot doesn't penetrate walls the way a steel jacked bullet does.

Oh, and by the way ... Merry Christmas. :p

"if you buy a hand gun for home protection why do you need more than 10 bullets for example?"

You have no idea how fast you can go through 10 rounds. Then what do you do, throw it at the bad guys? Especially when an intruder is likely to be more heavily armed than you.

But actually a good home defence weapon is an old fashioned double-barrelled shotgun, the kind with the hammer on each barrel. Keep one barrel loaded with tear gas or bird shot, to deal with a mild situation, and the other barrel loaded with buck shot! And have more buck shot shells in your pockets or strapped onto the stock. A load of buckshot is like being hit with a mini-Claymore mine. Also, the shot doesn't penetrate walls the way a steel jacked bullet does.

Oh, and by the way ... Merry Christmas. :p

My house has an outer 'court' door with 2 locks.

The front door has a metal screen door and then another door with 2 locks.

Inside we have 2 dogs that make all kind of noises when somebody comes around.

I figure if somebody wants to step inside I guess I could help them outside with only a few rounds.

"notice the death of a three-year-old in Oklahoma who shot himself in the head last weekend with a gun he found in his aunt 's house, that belonged to his Highway Patrol uncle?"

So how would stricter gun control have prevented the uncle from being an idiot and leaving his HP issued pistol lying out where an infant could get it? Not only that, the copper left it with a round in the chamber! (It had to be an semi-automatic pistol. No 3-year-old could pull the trigger on a double action revolver.) Rule number 1: clear your weapon when not on duty!

And the uncle was supposed to be one of the good guys! If a professionally trained cop does a dopey thing, what chance have the general public got against nutters who can buy an assault rifle at a gun fair without even a police check.

In the UK that tragedy couldn't have happened, since the regular police don't carry guns, and in Aus I'm pretty sure cops have to leave their weapons at the police station which they collect when they arrive for duty.

The US mayhem continues...

Two US volunteer firefighters have been shot dead and two injured while responding to an emergency call in the town of Webster in New York state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20838925

Matty Mattel?

PRODUCT OF GENERAL MOTORS.

So many made a buck off of that war. The vast miltary industrial complex.

"GM shipped the 100, 000th rifle to the Army in September of 1969, two months ahead of the required schedule. A year later the company had delivered another 140,000 rifles. The company was awarded a second contract and eventually the tally hit 469,217 M16A1s provided to the Pentagon."

LINK

But actually a good home defence weapon is an old fashioned double-barrelled shotgun, the kind with the hammer on each barrel. Keep one barrel loaded with tear gas or bird shot, to deal with a mild situation, and the other barrel loaded with buck shot! And have more buck shot shells in your pockets or strapped onto the stock. :p

My take is that you don't shoot in a mild situation -- at least where I live in MD. In a home defense situation, you don't shoot unless your life or or your loved one's life is threatened, in which case I wouldn't mess with a bird shot. Breaking into a home is not a capital offense, so you can't shoot a person just for breaking and entering.

Here are some scenarios:

You confront a bad guy who has broken into your home. You yell, HALT!!! He runs away. You don't shoot while he's running away, just call police.

If intruder halts, then you call the cops with one hand and have the other hand for the gun that will be pointed at the intruder. For this, handgun is better.

If the intruder lunges or points a gun toward you, after you yell "HALT," you shoot (and I don't mean birdshot).

****MERRY CHRISTMAS****

Home invaders don't want to or expect to meet ANY lethal force responce. They simply are not going to continue if the person has a weapon even if the person is outgunned. Time is of the essence. There are some cases where they break into a rich home on a few acres of land where they have the time to rummage the place but are not encountering armed resistence. If they do, they are gone. Its simply not worth it. Too much risk in the well planned out home invasion. They count on no armed resistence.

The run of the mill punk in urban areas who breaks into a home is definitely not going to stay if there is a standoff and the person has a gun. He's leaving. Simply not worth it. Time is of the essense just as the above.

in bank robberies the first rule of bank robbers is to neutralize the arned threat. The guards.

Basicly, criminals almost always avoid situations with an armed response even if they will have overwhelming force, too many things can happen against them.

Ten bullets is more than enough to deal with the run of the mill house robber and his partner, if there is one, who have a hand gun and just having it will deter 99% of well armed house invaders because they don't want any armed response.

I would also start advocating dogs. I wanted a rott but was traveling on business fairly often and I worried about the care and feeding of the animal so I got a glock instead. I lived on a quiet street but within very close walking distance of an area that had drug dealers and where you have drug dealers you have addicts breaking into homes to rob for a fix. The gun was not the choice I wanted (a dog would have been great company). For a family a dog is a good alarm. Someone is always at home to take care of it.

The NRA is advocating for us to be like Israel. Armed cops and military everywhere. Its like reconstruction south after the civil war. Surprisingly believe it or not, Israel has very strict gun laws. Out of a nation of 7 million I think less than 150,000 have a license to carry a gun.They have soldiers everywhere. Malls, stores, markets, schools, etc. Do we want America to look like that?

In terms of urban crime, I've long said that improving urban life will do more than building jails or hiring more cops. Far more. Start wtih education. Real, quality k-6 education. That is the basis. HS is too late. You build the foundation from 6 to 12 and you will reduce a host of problems: teen pregnancy, gang membership, taking or selling drugs, etc. Children who believe they have a bright future simply don't have babies or join gangs or do hard drugs if at all. Do what Jack Kemp advocated years ago and have urban areas, especially high crime areas be 'enterprise zones'. Massive tax incentives for businesses to locate there and hire a certain amount of the local populatiion or have them be able to write off training programs if people have to be trained for certain types of employment.. Even extending it to the fast food areas. Employment wil stop crimes. Convert the urban housing projects to direct home ownership. The federal governmen is spending untold millions maintaining buildings that are unsafe. Allow long time residents grandfathered in before a certain date to own their apartments giving them instant home ownership and with home ownership comes, responsibility. They will learn the power of home value and work hard to maintain it. They have no incentive to maintain it now since its not theirs.

The proposed infrastructure bill could help in a big way.

Anyway, as I stated in my long post, make gun ownership difficult and cumbersome, reduce the NRA's power, make a concerted effort to change the public perception of guns and effect a cultural change to a non gun culture.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/thousands-sign-us-petition-deport-piers-morgan-141037563.html

Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Let me understand this right. We want to deny (and deport) someone their constitutional right (free speech) for being against another right (right to bear arms)? Okay, got it.

http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-didnt-want-president-son-claims-173907500--abc-news-politics.html

Mitt Romney Didn't Want to Be President, Son Claims

What amazes me were their pollsters and strategists convinced they were going to win. Shocking. I knew Obama was going to win but its just a matter of how much. I am obviously no insider genius. One poll got it consistently wrong and they were the sole one against every other poll.

Anyway, some interesting things in the next run for President. Christie could do very well but is not liked by the fringe right. He could win I think. The working class Joe would like his style. Hillary, if she runs, would have a tough time beating him.

My favorite elected official and hopefully future president, Cory Booker, will run for senate after his term as Newark's mayor is up. He's who Obama should have been. He's just as smart (Stanford Rhodes Scholar, Yale Law School) but has the integrity of Mother Theresa. I encourage all of you to wiki him. Scandal free as well. A guy I know who is a big fan of his thinks he may be secretly gay. Just his mannerisms. I'm not so sure. It shouldn't matter but of course it will.

Jeb Bush has it all except the albatross of his family name. Still history is on his side. No winning Republican ticket in the last 70 years as ever won without a Nixon or Bush on it.

http://movies.yahoo....-141037563.html

Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Let me understand this right. We want to deny (and deport) someone their constitutional right (free speech) for being against another right (right to bear arms)? Okay, got it.

Do foreigners have a constitutional right? :xmascheer

BTW I have no desire to own an assault rifle or any weapon with a 30 round magazine. Don't know why anyone would. It appears that Connecticut, where the latest fruitloop shot up a school, actually does. But the mother was allowed to buy one anyway.