Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

As for the Connecticut shootings.........

In China a man stabbed 23 kids because he thought the World was coming to an end.

He probably was inspired by the 'Almighty God' group who thought there would be 3 days and nights of darkness.

The group also believed afterwards everything will be beautiful - paradise.

The chap in Connecticut may have seen articles relating to the stabbing of the school children in China

and being his Mother and probably himself were predisposed to the beliefs of the 'Almighty God' group (preppers)

he may have been 'inspired' by the nut in China.

After the Connecticut massacre, China banned the 'Almighty God' group and tossed about 1000 of their members into prison/jail.

Strange world.

N.R.A. Calls for Armed Guards in Schools to Deter Violence

"WASHINGTON — The National Rifle Association on Friday called for schools to be protected by armed guards as the best way to protect children from gun violence."

LINK

What they really need is a gun store in every school so that the infants can protect themselves.

The NRA suggested creating a database of the mentally ill ...perhaps they should use their own membership list for starters

In the week after the Sandy Hook shootings, more than 500 more Americans have been killed by guns, most of them committing suicide, around 200 murdered and about 20 killed accidentally.

What I find so weird is that a country with such similar values and morals to the rest of the civilised world and that produces more Nobel Prize winners than the rest of us put together can be so dumb when it comes to gun control.

Americans seem impervious to the facts. Doesn’t the average American notice that the murder rate in the US is four times what it is in the UK? Do they notice that London, one of the world's biggest cities, is about to record fewer than 100 homicides a year for the first time in decades? Do they, blase as they are to news reports of shootings, notice the death of a three-year-old in Oklahoma who shot himself in the head last weekend with a gun he found in his aunt 's house, that belonged to his Highway Patrol uncle?

Americans obviously love their guns more than their lives and their children.

N.R.A. Calls for Armed Guards in Schools to Deter Violence

"WASHINGTON — The National Rifle Association on Friday called for schools to be protected by armed guards as the best way to protect children from gun violence."

LINK

What they really need is a gun store in every school so that the infants can protect themselves.

The NRA suggested creating a database of the mentally ill ...perhaps they should use their own membership list for starters

In the week after the Sandy Hook shootings, more than 500 more Americans have been killed by guns, most of them committing suicide, around 200 murdered and about 20 killed accidentally.

What I find so weird is that a country with such similar values and morals to the rest of the civilised world and that produces more Nobel Prize winners than the rest of us put together can be so dumb when it comes to gun control.

Americans seem impervious to the facts. Doesn’t the average American notice that the murder rate in the US is four times what it is in the UK? Do they notice that London, one of the world's biggest cities, is about to record fewer than 100 homicides a year for the first time in decades? Do they, blase as they are to news reports of shootings, notice the death of a three-year-old in Oklahoma who shot himself in the head last weekend with a gun he found in his aunt 's house, that belonged to his Highway Patrol uncle?

Americans obviously love their guns more than their lives and their children.

Obviously there is a problem and that is an understatement but as I mentioned and was ridiculed for, more guns are being called for to solve the problem. Crazy? Probably. But it is what it is.

Also, the above posters' numbers are not factual from 2 sources I located. One said there were 100 gun deaths, one said 98 in the week after the school shooting.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2348466.html

http://now.msn.com/g...k-since-newtown

"notice the death of a three-year-old in Oklahoma who shot himself in the head last weekend with a gun he found in his aunt 's house, that belonged to his Highway Patrol uncle?"

So how would stricter gun control have prevented the uncle from being an idiot and leaving his HP issued pistol lying out where an infant could get it? Not only that, the copper left it with a round in the chamber! (It had to be an semi-automatic pistol. No 3-year-old could pull the trigger on a double action revolver.) Rule number 1: clear your weapon when not on duty!

I made sure I got a Colt! I didn't want any rifle made by Singer or a typewriter company. :p

Guys were always trying to swap with me. I told them to sod off.

p.s. We didn't get our M16s until after the siege of Dak To had ended. We were told the Army was afraid we'd be overrun and they didn't want to lose them. :(

Gun ownership is deeply cultural and those outside the U.S. will find it nearly impossible to understand it. Those that have lived in the U.S. for some time, especially in certain areas will have a better understanding even if they do not agree with gun ownership. I've met more than a few expat Brits at the pub watching soccer in LA who were opposedd to gun ownership and became gun owners once they moved permanently to the U.S.

Especially the married ones with a family. The possiblity of home invasion, car jacking, or what have you is a stark reality that seems more likely in your mind once you move to the U.S. than you did in England or Europe if you're European. The nightly news as well as local news is enough to scare you into it. Especially in LA where you have well armed criminals, gangs, and the like, which gives any pacifist pause.

That said, there are incremental steps that can be done. I would like to see assault rifles go the way of the dinosaur. A buy back program by the government. Also a limit on bullets. if you buy a hand gun for home protection why do you need more than 10 bullets for example? Perhaps have gun ranges with well accounted for bullets for use there if you want target practice. The NRA spokesman said there were cases of home invaders showing up with many rounds of ammo and assault rifles. Its overkill, the invaders usually case out a place and know there isn't a gun or if they are not sure they try the method of fast overwhelming force. If you have a handgun, even with 10 bullets it will give them pause. Last thing a criminal wants is a shoot out even if they have the heavier fire power. They are counting on no fire power. If you're held up in a part of the house it gives you time to call 911. The most likely scenario is a home invader leaving. Gun shots alert neighbors, etc. Hunters can have temporary use of rented hunting rifles at an authorized and license gun store such as how you rent a car. It may help restrict the number of bought guns. You can simply rent one for hunting and it goes back to a central location and not in 'circulation'. Offer an alternative to ownership. Renting a weapon instead. of course the background check restrictions apply.

The NRA dug its heels in and are now seen in a far less light. They didn't show enough sympathy. Removing their power is paramount. If one is going to get any kind of restrictions, at least meaningful ones, their power has to be ciipped. The stats show that the majority of gun owners are not members. There is a reason for that. The polls show that gun owners are open to and even favor restrictions that the NRA leadership opposes. Even a good number of their own membership are open to restrictions and controls the leadership isn't. The fact is that the NRA leadership does not reflect the views of gun owners.

Also, they have used poltical intimidation and outright lies to control and punish politicians. They know their hard core members are of the para military, militia types who fear either the government or crime from certain elements. I have an uncle who was in the Korean war. He has a arsenal of weaponry. He could hold off a battalion with the weapons he has. Scary stuff. However, he does not like the NRA. He thinks they have used racial politics to scare their membership. They use the lie that Obama or other Dem candidates will take away their guns if elected which is one of the reasons gun sales shoot up after Democratic wins or after an incident of gun violence that makes national news. My uncle said when ever there is a fear of urban crime they always warn people to stock up on guns, fair enough, but when they are asked about what residents of urban areas should do their response is to support the local police and give them expansive powers (such as the NYC program that arbitrarily stops minorities now). Its never the same advice to their hardcore membership, buy more guns. They have not encouraged law abiding minorities in high crime areas to buy more guns as they do to the white membership in areas that aren't even subject to urban crime. There is a certain Aryan fringe within their membership that expects some sort of race war in America so the NRA appeals to them by not advocating the same advice to minorties. I was not aware of it till my uncle suggested it.

Another way of restrictions is to remove the rights of gun ownership to those who have violated more mundane laws.or expand current ones. For example you can be convicted of a DUI and still get a gun if you're sentenced for no longer than a year or if its overseas. I'd change it to ANY DUI conviction anywhere.

I would work on the gun manufacturers. Over legislate them. Also, just like we do with smoking in school, start the cultural change in grade school as we do with anti smoking and drinkiing. Impose some sort of yearly tax, surcharge or whatever to pay for extra police, etc.If you leave the country for a certain amount of time, maybe longer than one month, its surrendered to local authorities until your return. Any member of the family that its passed to must pass ownership requirements.

Overall make it so that you have be a saint to get one, easy to lose the right, restrict the type and amount of weapons and ammo you can have and expensive and cumbersome to keep it. Make it tough till the cultural change happens.