Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Recently I found some 19th century IRS records to browse through. I was startled to see how much the tax men ripped off my gg grandfather and his father in 1864-65. The Union Army had stolen all of their horses and mules, then IRS taxed them on the buggies and farm wagons after they had no animals left to pull them. One great uncle even got taxed on his piano! Interesting to see the Feds haven't changed in 150 years. They are still evil thieves. :hmmm:

If you do not know that' date=' then stay away from courtrooms.[/quote']

I got a deal for ya LK. We both take the bar exam in CA. I score higher than you, you have to stay with Pelosi for a week and fuck her brains out everynight. You score higher than me, I will do the honors. Deal?

HH

Deal. I never take a bet I know I can't win. I am not a gambler. I am a good lawyer tho'.

Homeland Security Axes Bush-Era 'Virtual Fence' Project

ABC News' Jason Ryan reports: The Department of Homeland Security today officially scrapped a Bush-era program designed to use radar technology to detect illegal immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a DHS official and a congressional source.

The project, called "Virtual Fence," was rolled out under the Bush administration in 2006 with much fanfare about how technology could help secure the border. Illegal immigrants crossing the border would be detected by a radar and picked up by remote cameras, which were monitored by border patrol agents.

But numerous internal and Congressional reviews found consistent performance problems with the project's systems, which only spanned 53 miles of the vast U.S.-Mexico border.

A DHS assessment released today found that "the SBInet system is not the right system for all areas of the border and it is not the most cost-effective approach to secure the border. However, some elements of the SBInet development have provided useful capability."*

"DHS briefed Congress today on my decision to end SBInet as originally conceived and on a new path forward for security technology along the Southwest border," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said today. "There is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution to meet our border technology needs, and this new strategy is tailored to the unique needs of each border region."

DHS will utilize some of the existing technologies that were found to be useful in what the agency is calling a southwest border security technology plan.

The new plan "will utilize existing, proven technology tailored to the distinct terrain and population density of each border region, including commercially available Mobile Surveillance Systems, Unmanned Aircraft Systems, thermal imaging devices, and tower-based Remote Video Surveillance Systems." Napolitano added.

The issues that the program encountered were wide ranging: cameras often provided blurry images, the radar system performed poorly in bad weather, and it often displayed false detections that were unable to distinguish between humans, cars and animals.

There were also cost overruns and the primary contractor, Boeing, repeatedly missed deadlines, officials said.

Members of Congress on the oversight committees welcomed the news.

“The secretary’s decision to terminate SBInet ends a long-troubled program that spent far too much of the taxpayers’ money for the results it delivered," Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., said in a statement. "From the start, SBInet’s one-size-fits-all approach was unrealistic. The department’s decision to use technology based on the particular security needs of each segment of the border is a far wiser approach, and I hope it will be more cost effective.â€Â

"The SBInet program has been a grave and expensive disappointment since its inception," Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., ranking member of the House Homeland Security committee, said in a statement.

The system is estimated to cost about $1 billion. If the entire project had been accepted and rolled out, its cost would have exceeded $6 billion.

"We know that we cannot continue to put out millions and millions of dollars of taxpayer's money if we're not confident that it's really not going to work,†Napolitano, who ordered a review of the program upon taking office, said in October.

DHS had granted Boeing two 30-day extensions on contracts for the project towards the end of 2010 as it became clear the department was moving to cancel the program.

Calls to Boeing for comment were not immediately returned Friday afternoon.

Send TSA to the border!

Many a time here I have proposed land mines along the border. Much cheaper than a fence or hiring border patrol officers. And much more of a deterrent, I would think. A few warning signs posted about every 40 or 50 miles apart along the border just to give wannabe wets fair advance notice of what might await them. :up:

HH

Recently I found some 19th century IRS records to browse through. I was startled to see how much the tax men ripped off my gg grandfather and his father in 1864-65. The Union Army had stolen all of their horses and mules, then IRS taxed them on the buggies and farm wagons after they had no animals left to pull them. One great uncle even got taxed on his piano! Interesting to see the Feds haven't changed in 150 years. They are still evil thieves. :hmmm:

Did he ever get paid for the stolen horses?

They even taxed the money. With the Chinesee, they even taxed their opium (opium tins).

As for horses, when people reached their destination, if it was a town or city, they generally sold their horses. And who was one of the persons who bought the horses - the tax man (the sheriff or marshal).

Many a time here I have proposed land mines along the border. Much cheaper than a fence or hiring border patrol officers. And much more of a deterrent, I would think. A few warning signs posted about every 40 or 50 miles apart along the border just to give wannabe wets fair advance notice of what might await them. :up:

HH

Being some of the rivers in Arizona flow north and we haave each year monsoons, I guess you would volunteer to tell the parents of the children who get blown up from your land mines that they died from your policies?

Many a time here I have proposed land mines along the border. Much cheaper than a fence or hiring border patrol officers. And much more of a deterrent' date=' I would think. A few warning signs posted about every 40 or 50 miles apart along the border just to give wannabe wets fair advance notice of what might await them. :up:

HH[/quote']

Being some of the rivers in Arizona flow north and we haave each year monsoons, I guess you would volunteer to tell the parents of the children who get blown up from your land mines that they died from your policies?

You have said this in 2 different threads now...what exactly do you mean? so what about the rivers...small patrols can handle that. The idea is you close off as much of the border as you can, and then concentrate on the few holes remaining. Trust me, it works.