Tipping in LOS

Dumsoda

OK...I was going to include this in the...Pet Peeves thread....but think it's worthy of a stand alone thread.

After God & I visited Khon Kaen....I had a "Flash"...(NO....not that sort 555)

Kiwi Cafe was a very pleasant experience....

I am really disillusioned with "establishments" in LOS....that, whilst supposedly catering for the Farang market....(AND pricing their goods accordingly), expect the Customer to subsidise their wages bill..... (and Kiwi Cafe does NOT do this...)

The Old.....put the Bill in a plastic folder........ and if the change is 220 baht....stick in 1 x 100 bt....5 x 20's ...and 2 bx 10 baht coins..... REALLY gets up my nose.

I have been fortunate to travel the World on Business....and dine in some of the best eating houses available......

A "TIP"....to my mind...is a gratuity for services rendered....

...and from personal experience....VERY few establishments in LOS provide Service of exceptional standard....(Of course there ARE exceptions.....Mezzaluna in Bangkok comes to mind... but at 5k+ per head...it should!!!))

Nowadays....If I don't get service....I don't TIP....

I have watched the Thais in Thai places.....rarely do they leave more than the "coins" as a Tip"

I really do not like the "expectation"....and subtle pressure....of bringing your change in a Plastic Wallet....

Thoughts????????

Cheers DS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the fact that the wallet is plastic significant or is it just the fact that your change is in a wallet no matter what material the wallet is made from?

They have to bring it back in something.....don't they? And a wallet does seem appropriate as presumably you took your money out of your wallet and will return the change to your wallet.

I do agree that giving your change in lots of small denomination notes or coins when they could have just given you one bigger denomination note is annoying and in my case usually results in no tip, whereas I normally tip quite generously.

I agree Munch.

I just normally say thank you I needed the small change.

Did you ever notice they also do that when a service charge is already included in the bill too.

I've been with Thais at a meal and yes they tend to leave no more than 20 Baht irrespective of the overall cost of the meal.

Its tantamount to a BG, after a nights entertainment, and you after handing over the 1500 for LT (or whatever amount) and she asking for taxi money. I normally point to her hand bag and say what the fuck is that I'm just after giving you. I have on a few occasions did the same as in the cafe - give her at least a 100 in 20's - that normally cuts out the crap.

3 things about tipping annoy the crap out of me in LOS:

1. When they bring you 10 x 1 baht coins with sticky tape wrapped around them.

2. When you see a "TIP BOX" in the most bizarre places - such as on the front desk of a hotel. Tantamount to begging really.

3. Bars that charge 100 baht for a drink. You pay with a 500 baht note, they bring back 4 x 100 baht notes and then give you dirty looks when you don't leave a tip.

:cussing: x 3

I do agree that giving your change in lots of small denomination notes or coins when they could have just given you one bigger denomination note is annoying and in my case usually results in no tip, whereas I normally tip quite generously.

3. Bars that charge 100 baht for a drink. You pay with a 500 baht note, they bring back 4 x 100 baht notes and then give you dirty looks when you don't leave a tip.

So......how should one get change back? People not happy when they give small change, people not happy when they give bigger change. :dunno:

I prefer small-ish change - enough so that I can leave a tip but getting 10 x 1 baht coins is just silly IMO.

I like getting 20 baht notes back as change - very handy for taxis, baht buses, small purchases etc.

Also - while we're here - annoying when you are at a business in LOS and you have to wait while they run off and actually get some change from somewhere. Why don't they go to the bank and stock up? :dunno:

I prefer small-ish change - enough so that I can leave a tip but getting 10 x 1 baht coins is just silly IMO.

I didn't mention the 10 x 1 baht coins. I only quoted that one person wanted smaller change to leave a tip and another said he didn't want the small change, he wanted 1 bill instead of more.

So I again ask......how can they give the right change and make people happy? Ask each person how they want it?

Whilst I agree with the posts above about the craven begging that goes on in the form of expected tips, I normally do tip, on the following basis.

It is small money to me, the Thais I am am tipping are craven greedy bastards and because, I will usually be back to the establishment, I will be remembered if I don't tip and remembered if I do.

So by tipping I am ensuring that the greedy cunts will be all over themselves to give me service, instead of being surly and unhelpful on my next visit.

This of course goes against logic and could piss me off if I lived there, if I lived there I would probably not be spending so much time in dens full of greedy cunts.

No actually I would, but I'd then be on the path of trying to learn enough Thai to attempt to be treated with respect, another windmill to tilt at.

:)

JMHO

Archived