Tipping in LOS

Dumsoda

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In rural thailand it's almost impossible to tip.

[color:red]In a Thai establishment.....I agree 100%....

In the larger Towns / Cities it's slighty different...

I once had a Farang brag to me that his wife could hire service staff / Dek serves for 2500 Bt per month..... THINK about it.....Peanuts & Monkeys..... But I will bet you "anything" the potential staff had been promised.....HUGE Tips from the Farang...... It was obvious from the attitude when they brought the Bill.....The "look of expectation".... LOL..... but the same staff had virtually ignored the Customers for the entire time they were there.....either too busy...glued to the TV.....or reading Comic Books......[/color]

I tipped today a future gig, before she took the 3, yes THREE baht she looked to her aunty that she could take it. [color:red] Beautiful.....lol...[/color]

That was me i suspect. Aussie's never used to tip.

First time I was in Oz I was told in no uncertain terms not to tip. "We don't do it and we don't need you bloody Yanks coming down here and starting it!" About the only tipping I saw was if the tab was say 90 or 95 cents, you'd give them a dollar and let them keep the change. Talk about kee-niao. :D

I used to save money in the gogo bars and make the BG happy at the same time. I'd ask them if they'd rather have 50 baht or a lady drink. Since they usually only got 10 or 15 baht out of a 90 baht lady drink, they'd readily go for the money. That stopped around the late '90s when bar owners began hearing about it. After that a dancer would shake her head and say she'd be fired if she got caught accepting money instead of a drink.

As mentioned in orevious threads I always ensute that I have at least 5 X 20 THB notes with me to avoid altercations with Taxi Drivers etc. If the fare is 68 Baht then 4 V 20 and keep the change is the norm but if it is 61 Baht then 3 X 20 plus the 10 Baht coin behind my ear will suffice. (It used to be 5 THB but thats inflation for you)

Mostly I never havea problem with the make up of the denominations of the change since SWMBO )She Who Must Be Obeyed) uses her debit card all the time, if the service has been above acerage and the staff have been attentive SWMBO advises me of such and I will leave a tip approx 10% of the checkbill.

I wouold never tip in an establishment where + + is added to the bill, they have allready taken it without asking

We must be the exceptions ..we tip( the bill plate) and hand to a waiter/ess that has been the main one looking after us a seperate tip of 100 or more if really good..

Same when we get massages .,..and taxis..

Not the exception. Mrs LK & I do that too. As did the former Mrs LK & I. As do most all of my Thai family & friends.

Hi,

It depends for us on the location and kind of place. If we are in a place where you have one waiter/waitress for the duration and they are good, we tend to give something into their hands as well. Amount dependent on the overall bill and length of stay.

Other than that it is usually the coins and/or 20 Baht, or up to 100 Baht if the bill is higher and the service good.

Sanuk!

This is what I have always been told...if you tip at all, it is the coin change and *maybe* 20bhat, never more...what I have noticed in the higher end places is they add a service charge of 10% on the bill, so no extra tip on that...according to the people I go there with...

As for tipping hookers...no, the payment is the tip.

Archived