Tipping in LOS

Dumsoda

Ok. two quick points....

Bringing back the proper amount of 'change' in small denominations makes sense for the server if the customer wants to leave a tip they have the ability to do so. This is good service and I was taught to do this at every establishment I ever worked at in the service industry.

The 'tip box' does appear at some ridiculous places, but an owner of a cash based establishment always should establish where tips go and then make sure that an employee never takes money and places it into his/her pocket. It goes in the register or the tip jar.

If you have ever owned/managed a cash based bar or restaurant these things are important.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been with Thais at a meal and yes they tend to leave no more than 20 Baht irrespective of the overall cost of the meal.

I am in total agreement with this. I usually have a twenty or two in the wallet, so even if big bills come back, I take back all and leave the twenty. Or, if there's less than twenty baht in change, I'll slip the twenty in. Carhop usually gets a ten baht coin.

....but an owner of a cash based establishment always should establish where tips go and then make sure that an employee never takes money and places it into his/her pocket. It goes in the register or the tip jar.

This, too. I once started avoiding an establishment because one waitress was pocketing everything before the tip even made it back to the counter. The other staff - cook and dek serve - were unhappy about it but I think they could not (or maybe did not*) want to do anything about it. I started going back again only after said waitress left; the remaining staff confirmed that all tips collected was typically shared out.

*accusations involving loss of face is a big thing; sometimes not getting a few coins is better than to have to face a particularly vindictive individual.

Keep in mind most of the people working as serving etc get about 25 baht an hour.

Annoys me to see "friends" give some idiot dek serve who gives crap service but smiles nicely a 50 baht tip, but a hard working laborer elsewhere gets nothing, or a taxi driver maybe 10 baht from them.

Pretty seems to get a better tip than hard working.

Agreed. If a taxi driver does the right thing and uses the meter, takes me the most direct route then he gets a good tip from me. :thumbup:

Can't believe the traffic they have to sit in and competition they have for a fare in terms of their overall salary.

How long has the initial flagfall been 35 baht now? Years I think. I wouldn't have any issue if this went up to 50 or even 60 baht, but I bet the locals would have a fit.

Tipping just gets ridicules to me. As for LOS...I have been told many times, by Thais, that Thais DON'T Tip...there is either a service charge added to the bill, or else they just don't tip. At the most, they leave the small coins, more as an expression of "...I am so well off I don't need this small amount..." or else they pocket the change and leave nothing. In the west, tipping is out of hand, people want tips for nothing...and everything. Pisses me off.

Pisses me off even more when the guys who love to throw money around take this over tipping crap to LOS and ruin it for us all...if the locals don't tip why should we?

I recall leaving 20bht once as a tip, and a board member saying "...do you realize you just tipped her 1 hour's salary...?'

I had never looked it like that, and 20bht seemed fair, but when you consider a Thai would have left nothing, it was proibably too much?

Archived