Ipad, Should I?

Coss

Lads, and those of the 3rd kind:

I have an iPhone, I have a Macbook Pro, do I need an iPad2?

I'm gonna be doing a fair fetch of traveling, and whilst I'm taking the phone and laptop, I wondering whether the tablet would provide me with much usefulness.

Specs, platform and cost are all acceptable to me. The laptop is too big for a plane, movies are too small on the phone, but I'm only gonna have 4~8 flights.

I guess I'm looking for an excuse to buy one. What are the absolute must have functions of the iPad? I don't see many.

Any comments welcome, even derisive jibing...

Yes, I want one, but I agree, but then the iPad3 is supposed to have a killer 2560x1920 or something of that nature, resolution, making the movie experience phenomenal.

But again, just for movies I'd buy one?

Hi,

Yes, I want one, but I agree, but then the iPad3 is supposed to have a killer 2560x1920 or something of that nature, resolution, making the movie experience phenomenal.

This would only impact the quality of the movie if it too is in such a high res and it almost certainly will not be seeing highest res now is 1080. So it would just be upscaled to 1920 res, no additional quality.

Sanuk!

But again, just for movies I'd buy one?

It really depends on your habits. iPads are not for productivity like writing longer emails, producing Word docs or Excel sheets, manipulating/organizing images e.g.

IMHO it is the perfect tool for people on the road: Reading newspapers and magazines like New York Times or The New Yorker, checking travel guides and maps, watching movies while, controlling travel expenses, taking short notes, keeping a calendars, reading emails, showing photos to other people, e.g., it is an absolutely great tools - especially since you can keep it in sync easily with your other Apple products.

PS: Macrumors says that the iPad 3 might come out in October: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad. But my guess is, that we'll have to wait until 2012.

Hi,

This would only impact the quality of the movie if it too is in such a high res and it almost certainly will not be seeing highest res now is 1080. So it would just be upscaled to 1920 res, no additional quality.

Sanuk!

True, but as I'm finding on the iPhone 4, with its 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 dpi (which is 4 x what's needed for the size of the screen) it makes for a better experience, more life-like if you will, so if you're putting multiple pixels where one is required, you get a nicer image.

Contrast a pic printed in a magazine with one printed at 4800 dpi on a fine art printer.

Cheers

Coss

IMHO it is the perfect tool for people on the road: Reading newspapers and magazines like New York Times or The New Yorker, checking travel guides and maps, watching movies while, controlling travel expenses, taking short notes, keeping a calendars, reading emails, showing photos to other people, e.g., it is an absolutely great tools - especially since you can keep it in sync easily with your other Apple products.

PS: Macrumors says that the iPad 3 might come out in October: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad. But my guess is, that we'll have to wait until 2012.

Yes, if I get a "2", I'l get instant buyers remorse 'cause they'll release the "3" the next day.. :)

Mind you it would make a fine and dandy present for MyLaoGirl...

Hi,

so if you're putting multiple pixels where one is required, you get a nicer image.

No, you don't. If you double the screen resolution, 4 pixels would be used to display 1 pixel before *however* those 4 pixels take up the exact same amount of space on the screen. As a result the image looks the same.

Only if you start adding anti-aliasing does the quality increase. Don't think this is done for movies though.

Sanuk!

Archived