Hillman's 100 Wonders

Moo_Uan

Hi,

"So is it glass half full or glass half empty, I have seen the world but at the expense of long term personal relationships whereas you have not travelled much but have a settled family life, we are all different and make our own decisions, I very much doubt that you would give up what you have now in order to have done what I have done."

No argument from me on that one. And while I certainly wouldn't mind a bit (or a lot :) ) more money / time to travel, I am quite content with my life. Hopefully when we finally hear the decision of a contract we've been trying to get for the last couple of months I can do a bit of travelling. Although, it would likely just be back to Holland. Promised the kids that if I get the contract, I'll take them along :)

Sanuk!

Very best of luck.

It is really important for children to see where Dad is from and grew up.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Location 45 is not on, you have to be Muslim to enter Mecca, only on par with Medina for having checkpoints manned by Mutawa keeping non muslims out at all roads entering the city.

Never having been myself, I've been told there is some serious manpower and firepower available to protect that area.

Do you see heavily armed police or troops in Medina? Or is it kind of kept under wraps?

Hi,

Very best of luck.

It is really important for children to see where Dad is from and grew up.

Thanks, they are not really my kids as in that I am not their natural father, but I do think it will be useful for them to see another country / culture.

Sanuk!

Never having been myself, I've been told there is some serious manpower and firepower available to protect that area.

Do you see heavily armed police or troops in Medina? Or is it kind of kept under wraps?

Similarly to Mecca, entrance to Medina is restricted to Muslims only; non-Muslims are neither permitted to enter nor travel through the city.[2][3][4] Muslims believe that the latter verses of the Quran were revealed in Medina and its surrounding outskirts, called the medinan suras.[5][6]

Medina

For reasons there is no need to go over here lets just say this "silly" fantasy, and what it implies, is offensive.

If Mekong had not said non-Muslims can't go you would not have felt the need to claim you're "special" and have been. Not just one time but twice.

But of course we have to take your word for it. Classified, right?

Honestly, you don't need to prove anything to anyone here.

who built the airport there, the hospitals, the telephone centrals and many other stuff there do you think ?

but its enough that I post it .....LOL

BB

Similarly to Mecca, entrance to Medina is restricted to Muslims only; non-Muslims are neither permitted to enter nor travel through the city.[2][3][4] Muslims believe that the latter verses of the Quran were revealed in Medina and its surrounding outskirts, called the medinan suras.[5][6]

Medina

What you said earlier- and quoted above- is what I've always heard from people with experience in the region.

who built the airport there,

BB

Sorry to go against you BB but would you care to name the airport in Mecca?

The Hajj Terminal is at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah

KAIA

Try out bullshitting amateurs before trying to bullshit with the big boys!

<< He cannot enter Makkah because it is the law in Saudi Arabia. But most rules are broken aren't they? (joke) I don't have a better answer for your friend but.... if he could learn how to be a Mercedes mechanic, he could go. Since SAPTCO uses Mercedes buses and since they employ German engineers and mechanics. Germans go in and out of Makkah and Madinah under cover of darkness to fix buses and make sure that there are fewer traffic jams, etc. during Hajj. >>

My link

Sorry to go against you BB but would you care to name the airport in Mecca?

The Hajj Terminal is at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah

KAIA

Try out bullshitting amateurs before trying to bullshit with the big boys!

Yes, I should have been more precise :)

I was twice in Medina, not Mecca as per possible confusion in my first reply, in your qoute, both cities are mentionned.

And secondly, refering to whom built what, I was referring that Western companies built it all, never the locals.

I even met a dozen engineers from Philips Holland at the time residing in Medina, in the morning picked up at the hotel, in the evening dropped back in, never allowed outside on their own, but paid good money though.....

Now in Thailand, but I can easily scan my Saudi visas from my old passports when back home, probably 50+ entries in Saudi.

Or a few more from Iraq, Iran, Gulf states, Yemen a.o. assorted ones....

I'll mail them if you so wish.... ok ? :dunno:

BB

Archived