Hillman's 100 Wonders

Moo_Uan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Shit, some travellers here. I've only been to one of those places on the list. Quite a few I've never even heard of.

Sanuk!

KS,

It all boils down to pro's and cons, as I previously stated most of the places I have visited on the list are due to being sent to far flung global locations and as such being close to a location have decided to make the effort and see the sites rather than waste my free time sitting in a Bar. Would I have preferred being at home living a "9-5 Life" I am not sure to be honest, I have always had "itchy feet syndrome" and many of the places I have visited revoke good memories.

Niagara Falls for example a work colleague and I were over in Houston TX on a 12 month assignment overseeing back end of design, construction and then Factory Acceptance test of a Controls System for Saudi Arabia and were sent up to Rochester upstate NY for a 3 week training course, we were so close to Niagara it would have been foolish not to visit on one of the weekends off. The drive there along the "Lake Ontario State Parkway" which runs the full length of the South Shore of Lake Ontario had some unforgettable scenery along the route before hitting Niagara itself. It was St Patricks Day weekend 2000 so for our return journey we came back inland and stopped off at Buffalo just in time to catch the "Paddies Day Parade" , the work colleagueI was with was / is Irish so having a genuine Irishman at the Buffalo Paddies Day Parade we soon became the focus of attention.

Forbidden City / Great wall (first trip) again I can remember as if it was yesterday, I was working in Tianjin about 250KM South of Beijing at the time and it was a weekend in 2001, the weekend when the host city for 2008 olympics was due to be announced and for some reason I just knew that Beijing would be awarded it so I suggested to a few work colleagues a weekend in Beijing. We did forbidden city very early in the morning then off to see part of the Great wall before returning to Tianamen Square in the evening for the announcement, when the announcement was made "The Host City for 2008 Olympics is ... Beijing 250,000 Chinese and 4 Gweilos all went mad, we never slept that night some party that one was.

Terracotta army, again I was running a Factory Acceptance Test in Xian, and of course being the clients rep the Vendor bends over backwards to ensure the Client is taken care of, so they arranged for a Limo to take me to see Terracotta army and for an English speaking guide to show me around and explain the significance of some of the artifacts on show, I must admit that even I was impressed and having the English speaking guide with me made the overall experience unforgettable (I still rejected the System though and had to go back a month later for a retest).

So is it glass half full or glass half empty, I have seen the world but at the expense of long term personal relationships whereas you have not travelled much but have a settled family life, we are all different and make our own decisions, I very much doubt that you would give up what you have now in order to have done what I have done.

Kong

Hi,

"So is it glass half full or glass half empty, I have seen the world but at the expense of long term personal relationships whereas you have not travelled much but have a settled family life, we are all different and make our own decisions, I very much doubt that you would give up what you have now in order to have done what I have done."

No argument from me on that one. And while I certainly wouldn't mind a bit (or a lot :) ) more money / time to travel, I am quite content with my life. Hopefully when we finally hear the decision of a contract we've been trying to get for the last couple of months I can do a bit of travelling. Although, it would likely just be back to Holland. Promised the kids that if I get the contract, I'll take them along :)

Sanuk!

Hi,

Good luck with the contract,

Thanks, very slow process :(

It would be great for both you and the kids, if you did get the chance to take them to see the Netherlands, then they will realize why Daddy moved to Thailand (Joking)

The way I see it, taking them along will mean they will have a blast, it will also mean my wife will enjoy the holiday much more and thus I will enjoy it much more. Never mind that Mom and Dad would be extremely pleased for all of us to come over. Still, it is a lot of cash, so we'll see what happens first.

Sanuk!

I was there twice in the 80's, you need special daypasses and need to be accompagnied by the famous religious police at all times.....

And of course I could not visit the highlights :)

BB

For reasons there is no need to go over here lets just say this "silly" fantasy, and what it implies, is offensive.

If Mekong had not said non-Muslims can't go you would not have felt the need to claim you're "special" and have been. Not just one time but twice.

But of course we have to take your word for it. Classified, right?

Honestly, you don't need to prove anything to anyone here.

Archived