Do Europeans Binge Drink ?

gobbledonk

Based on what I have seen in LOS, this isn't restricted to Brits and Aussies, but we do seem to 'lead the pack'. An inglorious distinction, but having talking heads on Oz TV tell me that the 'attitude to alcohol in Europe is much saner' left me wondering how accurate that is. I expect that I would encounter drunken youth everywhere from Moscow to Lisbon - whether they are trying to beat one another to death is a tougher question. A Danish guy told me they still think they are Vikings with 3 drinks under their belts - not a happy image - but I cant say I've had a problem with northern Europeans in LOS. Drunken Aussies and Brits, though, are people I will cross the road to avoid.

Anyone ?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what I have seen in LOS, this isn't restricted to Brits and Aussies, but we do seem to 'lead the pack'. An inglorious distinction, but having talking heads on Oz TV tell me that the 'attitude to alcohol in Europe is much saner' left me wondering how accurate that is. I expect that I would encounter drunken youth everywhere from Moscow to Lisbon - whether they are trying to beat one another to death is a tougher question. A Danish guy told me they still think they are Vikings with 3 drinks under their belts - not a happy image - but I cant say I've had a problem with northern Europeans in LOS. Drunken Aussies and Brits, though, are people I will cross the road to avoid.

Anyone ?

Germans drink a lot, but usually there isn't a lot of binge drinking except on special occasions (see: Octoberfest in Munich) or in holiday. You'll find this at some holiday destinations like at the Spanish island Mallorca, where especially young German males and Brits go for a week or weekend of heavy drinking.

But only in GB binge drinking seems to happen all over the country every weekend - that's what German media report anyway.

My personal non-researched opinion is that in countries like Germany, Italy or France alcohol is a part of the daily life and there aren't many restrictions by law.

Most people learn at younger age, around 16 or so, to deal with alcohol after having been severely drunk at parties a few times. Or like in Italy where whine comes with every lunch and dinner. In Italy you always see ordinary people having a glass of whine at a bar during lunch time. But the glass is really, really tiny (less than 1cl I think) and they have just one glass. Its one drink for the pleasure of having the taste of one whine, but not for the drug contained...

PS: East Europe seems to be a different matter. Russia is usually depicted as the country of the severely drunk where a huge number of people are alcoholics.

agree with Kamui

have eaten in staff canteens in Italy, France and Belgium, where over 80% of the people drink a glass of whine for lunch

also had "simple" business lunch in restaurants, where we drunk a full bottle of whine for 2 guys!

have never seen any alcohol in staff canteens in Thailand or China!

Agree that in some of the European mediteranean countries alcohol (wine) is part of daily life and people grow up with it and seem to act more responsibly with it. Also these countries don't have the UK's pub culture (they don't have pubs!) as drinking seems to be done in cafes and restaurants, which I think also helps to curb the amount of alcohol drunk.

I read somewhere that its almost run-of-the-mill to encounter smashed Russians on the streets of Moscow in broad daylight - not sure if that's an exaggerated view of their 'vodka culture', but it didnt sound encouraging.

The other point I would make is that alcohol seems to be very expensive in Northern Europe - obviously that doesnt stop kids drinking, but they aren't as likely to be throwing down two bottles of Jack before they go out on a Friday night. Its a huge problem here - a lot of the under-25s are maggoted before they even get out of the cab.

Archived