Assange Vs Takky

Coss

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder Julian Assange doesn't trust the Swedish government...they tell blatant lies to their own citizens.

http://www.thelocal.se/42972/20120903/

Sweden 'helped US bomb Iraq in 2003': report

Swedish military intelligence provided the United States with information about potential bombing targets in Bagdad ahead a 2003 attack on the Iraqi capital, despite the Swedish government's opposition to the US invasion, US military documents reveal.

According to a report in the Expressen newspaper, which obtained previously classified documents from the US military's Central Command, a Swedish intelligence agency helped US war planners determine which targets to hit in a bombing raid to be carried out in March 2003.

Specifically, the US military was interested in learning more about Swedish-built bunkers in the Iraqi capital as the Pentagon suspected that one bunker, which was officially a safe room for civilians, may have also been used by the Iraqi military or the country's leaders.

The document explains that the US military obtained data about the bunkers through "intelligence exchanged with Sweden and the U.S.".

Last autumn, Expressen reported that high-ranking US military experts made a secret visit to Sweden in January/February 2003 to meet with officials from Swedish military intelligence agency MUST, reportedly to discuss the bunkers.

The revelations prompted a Swedish prosecutor to launch a preliminary investigation into whether a single employee with MUST gave secret information to the Americans.

However, the probe was shuttered after the prosecutor concluded that no espionage had taken place.

At the time of the Swedish-US intelligence cooperation detailed in the document, Sweden's Social Democrat-led government had pronounced its opposition to any invasion that wasn't sanctioned by the United Nations.

Following the March 20, 2003 bombing raid which marked the start of the IraqWar, then Swedish prime minister criticized the US-led invasion as "unfortunate".

"For starters, they acted without the support of the international community," he said the day after the attack, according to Expressen.

"Unlike the United States, Sweden views a military attack on Iraq without the support of the UN Security Council as a breach of human rights." [lying bastards!]

Revelations that a Swedish intelligence agency was aiding the United States conduct a military operation which had been condemned by the Swedish government prompted former Left Party leader Lars Ohly to call for a further probe into the matter.

"If Sweden facilitated an attack, that would be very strange," he told Expressen.

"If a Swedish agency acted without the government's knowledge or permission, that's serious because that means the government doesn't have control over its public agencies."

Former Prime Minister Göran Persson told Expressen he "has no recollection" of being informed about intelligence cooperation between Sweden and the United States in the lead up to the Iraq war.

Political scientist Ulf Bjereld said the claims made in the Expressen report touch on "an important issue which must be examined".

I like your quest to take it to the man and expose corruption Robaus. But I agree with others that Assange is no hero. He has put many lives in jeopardy and there's a reason (yes, beyond pressure from the government) that entities like the BBC and NYT cut ties with him and portray him as shady and narcissistic. I wanted to see Assange as a modern day Robin Hood type character, but... very skeptical he cares about anything other than maintaing Assange in the spotlight.

Wendella brings up good points, getting sidetracked in the whole hacker definition argument only detracts from those. (And btw Wendella, I agree with Kamui that your insistence that hacker = illegal criminal activity in pop culture definitions is way wrong. See: Facebook, or even contemporary DIY movements and "Lifehacker.")

I like your quest to take it to the man and expose corruption Robaus. But I agree with others that Assange is no hero. He has put many lives in jeopardy and there's a reason (yes, beyond pressure from the government) that entities like the BBC and NYT cut ties with him and portray him as shady and narcissistic. I wanted to see Assange as a modern day Robin Hood type character, but... very skeptical he cares about anything other than maintaing Assange in the spotlight.

Wendella brings up good points, getting sidetracked in the whole hacker definition argument only detracts from those. (And btw Wendella, I agree with Kamui that your insistence that hacker = illegal criminal activity in pop culture definitions is way wrong. See: Facebook, or even contemporary DIY movements and "Lifehacker.")

Wikileaks is a non profit organisation, so he’s not in it for the money.. it was his couch surfing that first got him into trouble, when the Swedish tart offered him her bed, and continued to do so for a week after she was supposedly raped.

>>But I agree with others that Assange is no hero

... Would any of us on this board similarly risk our lives and freedom to expose the corruption, hypocrisy and war crimes of very powerful governments and interests? That's pretty brave IMO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/21/why-us-is-out-to-get-assange Don't lose sight of why the US is out to get Julian Assange.

>>He has put many lives in jeopardy

...Bradley Manning dobbed himself in by bragging on chat groups. Also, it was a disgruntled technician Daniel Domscheit-Berg, not Assange, who first released the password that gave access to the world’s media of unredacted and unedited files. Domsheit wanted to set up a rival Open Leaks. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Wikileaks offered the Pentagon a chance to vet leaked cables, but they declined.

>>BBC and NYT cut ties with him and portray him as shady and narcissistic. I wanted to see Assange as a modern day Robin Hood type character

...I am very curious where the evidence of this comes from...apart from the fact that he’s good looking, more famous than the last winner of Big Brother, and gets lots of roots. I’ve never met the man, nor have you, and I doubt that Fox Noise, The Sun or the Daily Mail are close to the man either. But character assassination can be just as useful to their paymasters as assassination.

>> but... very skeptical he cares about anything other than maintaing Assange in the spotlight.

..How can you read his mind and make such a sweeping judgment? No doubt though, if such powerful enemies were out to make me disappear, I’d want the world to keep an eye on me too. We’d all do the same.

I think it will be a very sad day for freedom of speech and democracy, if the powerful vested interests silence Wikileaks, and we return to being mushrooms...kept in the dark and fed bullshit.

:beer:

No wonder Julian Assange doesn't trust the Swedish government...they tell blatant lies to their own citizens.

http://www.thelocal.se/42972/20120903/

Sweden 'helped US bomb Iraq in 2003': report

Swedish military intelligence provided the United States with information about potential bombing targets in Bagdad ahead a 2003 attack on the Iraqi capital, despite the Swedish government's opposition to the US invasion, US military documents reveal.

According to a report in the Expressen newspaper, which obtained previously classified documents from the US military's Central Command, a Swedish intelligence agency helped US war planners determine which targets to hit in a bombing raid to be carried out in March 2003.

Fascinating, I'd missed this one. So the Swedes are as corrupt as everyone else.

>> but... very skeptical he cares about anything other than maintaing Assange in the spotlight.

..How can you read his mind and make such a sweeping judgment? No doubt though, if such powerful enemies were out to make me disappear, I’d want the world to keep an eye on me too. We’d all do the same.

I think it will be a very sad day for freedom of speech and democracy, if the powerful vested interests silence Wikileaks, and we return to being mushrooms...kept in the dark and fed bullshit.

Bill Keller, editor of the NYT, wrote an essay covering his interaction with wikileaks and Assange. I found it even handed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/magazine/30Wikileaks-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

"As for the risks posed by these releases, they are real. WikiLeaks’s first data dump, the publication of the Afghanistan War Logs, included the names of scores of Afghans that The Times and other news organizations had carefully purged from our own coverage. Several news organizations, including ours, reported this dangerous lapse, and months later a Taliban spokesman claimed that Afghan insurgents had been perusing the WikiLeaks site and making a list. I anticipate, with dread, the day we learn that someone identified in those documents has been killed."

And from reading your post, you're of the position that Assange is a handsome man leading the ignorant out of the darkness eh? I suppose all of us mushrooms should be happy. Ungrateful bastards we are. :) What I see is Fox Noise and Assange are cut from the same cloth. Both on my list of "avoid." :beer:

Cheers.

Fascinating, I'd missed this one. So the Swedes are as corrupt as everyone else.

I think Assange is right not to trust the Swedish government. They try to circumvent international rules as the case of the Piratebay founder shows.

It's not that the Piratebay founder is a murderer, kidnapper or so. He got 12 months for copyright infringement. And even though there is no extradition treaty between Sweden and Cambo, Sweden seemingly worked behind closed to doors to have him jailed. Now a group of Swedish officials is traveling to PP for to do the paperwork.

A kind of overkill IMHO.

Pirate Bay co-founder Warg to be deported from Cambodia

One of the founders of the popular file-sharing The Pirate Bay website is to be deported from Cambodia.

Police chief Sok Phal said the decision to expel Gottfrid Svartholm Warg came after Swedish officials presented documents on the case against him. Warg was held in Phnom Penh after an international warrant was issued against him by his native Sweden.

Sweden acted after he failed to show up for the start of his one-year jail term for copyright violations.

Cambodia and Sweden do not have an extradition treaty, so it is unclear to which country he will be deported.

"We will deport him based on our immigration law," police spokesman Kirth Chantharith said.

"We just know we will deport him. As to which country, that would be up to the Swedish side."

He added that no date had been set yet for the deportation.

Damages

Warg and the site's other founders - Fredrik Neij and Peter Sunde, as well financier Carl Lundstroem - were convicted by a Swedish court of encouraging copyright violations in 2009 despite arguing that the website acted within the law.

Neij, Sunde and Lundstroem all had their one-year jail terms reduced to between four and 10 months following an appeal in 2010.

They were also ordered to pay nearly $7m (£4m) in damages for copyright infringement to music and movie companies.

However, Warg did not attend the appeal hearing, with his lawyer saying that he was too ill. The Swedish court then decided to uphold his sentence.

The operations of The Pirate Bay were largely shut down in Sweden six years ago, but the website has continued to function.

The site was founded in 2003, and claims to have more than 30m users worldwide.

No copyright content is hosted on the site's web servers. Instead, it hosts "torrent" links to TV, film and music files held on its users' computers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-19475202

>>And from reading your post, you're of the position that Assange is a handsome man leading the ignorant out of the darkness eh?

..crikey, you sound just like the so called "balanced" newspaper article you are defending in your link...superficially mentioning disparate items out of context from my post as though they are somehow connected. The language in the NYT article displays obvious bias

..using loaded words to paint a negative picture of Assange .."an eccentric, a geek" [for correctly pointing out he had to use 2 files because Excel spreadsheet only has 56,000 rows]

"coy about where he obtained his secret cache" [keeping ones'source of sensitive info secret is standard journalism, isn't it]

"Assange slouched into The Guardian office...He was alert but disheveled,like a bag lady walking in off the street, wearing a dingy, light-colored sport coat and cargo pants, dirty white shirt, beat-up sneakers and filthy white socks that collapsed around his ankles. He smelled as if he hadn’t bathed in days.†[WTF has all that got to do with his integrity? Assange often travelled Europe overnight on trains schlepping his laptop and suitcase because he wasn't making a cent out of the material he was giving the newspapers as a scoop...all he asked of them was to synchronise the disclosure with his website...an agreement they reneged on]

>>I suppose all of us mushrooms should be happy. Ungrateful bastards we are.

..if the cap fits, wear it. I know I trust Wikileaks more than media controlled by people like Rupert Murdoch.

....up2u.

>>And from reading your post, you're of the position that Assange is a handsome man leading the ignorant out of the darkness eh?

..crikey, you sound just like the so called "balanced" newspaper article you are defending in your link...superficially mentioning disparate items out of context from my post as though they are somehow connected. The language in the NYT article displays obvious bias

Allow me to put on my waders, as the shit is getting a little thick now. Crikey, you've used some of the most over-the-top drama queen language available in the king's english for several pages to romanticize Assange and those who support him, and then you get upset when you're met with a sarcastic reaction? Really? disparate items out of context. I love it.

>>I suppose all of us mushrooms should be happy. Ungrateful bastards we are.

..if the cap fits, wear it. I know I trust Wikileaks more than media controlled by people like Rupert Murdoch.

....up2u.

Well, we know where you stand. I trust neither. btw - If you want to start poking at people, make sure you're not hyper-sensitive when they poke back. And if you want people to converse without sarcasm, tone down the drama queen act.

Archived