Assange Vs Takky

Coss

I wonder if there's a different law for a money hungry ex Navy SEAL ...

The answer to that is in your own post:

<< Officials from the Pentagon and the CIA, which commanded the mission, are examining the manuscript for possible disclosure of classified information and could take legal action against the author. >>

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote...whatever the motives...almost like a traffic warden writing out a ticket for a doctor who's saving someone's life while parked on a double yellow line. "Sorry, that's the law...more than my jobsworth, mate"

you reply >>Presumably this doctor doesn't always park on yellow lines in the hope that one day he'll locate a dying patient there. ;-)

...the doctor treats the patient wherever and whenever he needs to. Yes, he'll park on the double yellow lines again and again if necesssary. No doubt you'd still have the traffic warden blindly licking his pencil to write out another parking ticket with a "the law's the law, mate."

>>Are you serious? Which of these events do you think was noticed more in the Arab world: 1. Wikileaks leaked emails showing corruption in repressive governments (that must have come as a shocking surprise) or 2. Saddam Hussein dropping through a hole in the platform. you don't seriously think Wikileaks is responsible for the Arab spring, do you? How many people in those countries do you think have even ever heard of Wikileaks? They've all known for generations that their governments were totally corrupt. They can't walk outside their house without noticing it.

..I am indeed serious, and I am in good company too. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/13/amnesty-international-wikileaks-arab-spring

..The world faces a watershed moment in human rights with tyrants and despots coming under increasing pressure from the internet, social networking sites and the activities of WikiLeaks, Amnesty International says in its annual roundup.

The rights group singles out WikiLeaks and the newspapers that pored over its previously confidential government files, among them the Guardian, as a catalyst in a series of uprisings against repressive regimes, notably the overthrow of Tunisia's long-serving president, Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.

Unfortunately for President Ben Ali, Julian Assange’s Wikileaks had recently released an American diplomatic cable that described, in chapter and verse, the rampant corruption rotting its way through Tunisia. And, unfortunately for President Ben Ali, his people read all about it on the Web.

While the Tunisian people have been languishing in poverty lo these many years, the president’s family and his cronies were amassing enormous fortunes--wealth not earned through productive achievement but stolen by the coercive powers of the state.

President Ben Ali’s luck took another bad turn when Tunisian youths published accounts of Bouazizi’s self-immolation on Facebook. And they didn’t stop there. They proceeded to organize street protests using a variety of social network sites. The demonstrations spread like wildfire, morphing into a revolution that eventually forced Ben Ali to flee the country

The US obviously knew about Ben-Ali and Mubarak's corruption...my whole point is..If they knew about it and are such wonderful guardians of democracy and human rights, WTF didn't they leak it to the world's press? It took someone with more guts and integrity like Wikileaks to do it!

Whereas the Arab Spring chain of causality seems to be a figment of your imagination. I think you had better revisit the timeline of events. Saddam Hussein was hanged on 30 Dec 2006 without the popular uprising that the USA anticipated. The Arab leaders who noticed Saddam's execution, such as Mubarak and Ben-Ali thought they had nothing to fear, because the USA was these despots' staunchest ally. It took Wikileaks to expose the massive corruption that Arab newspapers daren't publish. Electronic social networking did the rest.

Ben Ali was forced to flee Tunisia on 14 January 2011

more than 4 years after Saddam's execution

I'll be incommunicado for the weekend attending a music festival. But I'll gladly continue this debate next Monday night.

:beer:

The answer to that is in your own post:

<< Officials from the Pentagon and the CIA, which commanded the mission, are examining the manuscript for possible disclosure of classified information and could take legal action against the author. >>

That's good. I imminently await the arrests of Bill O'Reilly and Rupert Murdoch then for publishing the name of a US SEAL on a secret mission....err but I'm not holding my breath though.

:beer:

I don't remember saying anything like that Wikileaks didn't exist, and it's possible it played some part. I rejected what you seemed to claim, that Wikileaks was the MAIN cause-- and regardless what Amnesty International claims (I don't consider them to be the last word on this point at all), surely Saddam's death was bigger news in the Arab world than anything in any wikileak. That governments in those countries were corrupt was a given, so I don't see why you would think any leaked memos would have been any kind of surprise. If you are disagreeing, as you seem to be, that Saddam's downfall was a factor, then I'm not sure how you got to where you are. And I have to say one detail you mentioned doesn't sit well, when you mentioned the Arab spring countries. No mention of Qaddafi there. Why evade mentioning Libya? It's been widely reported that Qaddafi was profoundly spooked by what happened to Saddam. That Saddam's fall was largely due to the invasion was beside the point. He fell, and then died in a thoroughly pathetic and humiliating way. What that showed the Arab world, as dramatically as possible, was that the dictator could actually be destroyed, that their grip was not all-powerful and permanent. That scared the crap out of Qaddafi, that he might be seen that way in his country, and I'm sure it was on the minds of the rest. It goes without saying that the same thought occurred to their subjects. Qaddafi's own death last year just reinforced the idea. Now I'm not anywhere close to a supporter of Bush, I voted for Clinton, Gore, Kerry and Obama and will vote for Obama again. But one of the ulterior motives of the neo-cons who pushed for the Iraq War (and I do agree with what I expect you believe, that it was lobbied for by people who had reasons other than WMD), which I feel pretty sure you must have been aware of, was that it might spark a domino effect of uprisings against corrupt Arab world dictators.

The Wikileaks factor was minor, I believe, and the fall of Saddam was a much greater factor.

Guest lazyphil

How is it that when Takky, a convicted Crim, is in Britain, it's of no consequence.

But Assange, a suspected crim is also in Britain, he's public enemy #1?

assange is a whiney crybaby creep

assange is a whiney crybaby creep

Assange has pissed off and embarrassed the governments of many countries around the world - while Takky has only trouble in his own country, while investing millions around the world, like in GB, Dubai, e.g.

So whom will the countries extradite?

Archived