Tv Soaps (Evening)

Wallenda

I'm just wondering about this. I'm not in Thailand, I'm in Vietnam. But it seems as if this might be one thing that the 2 countries have in common. I say that because here they show imported tv soaps from Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, etc., as well as locally made ones.

The shows my wife tunes into air 5 nights per week (or is it 7?) for 1.5 hrs per night. 8:30pm to 10pm.

It's a bit freaking much. Since it's a continuing story, they never want to miss an episode. Great.

So trying to watch something I'd like to see instead on a weeknight in the living room is always going to lead to friction. What's more, this kind of programming schedule leads to certain couch-potatofication of anyone who's interested in a show like this.

Is it the same in Thailand?

Anyone figured out any good strategies for dealing with this kind of problem?

Back where I come from, there's no such thing as a 5 or 7 night per week prime time soap, and if there was, not many would watch it. Seems to be an Asian staple though.

Hi,

"Is it the same in Thailand?"

No, it is much worse :(

Here these shows air every day from 20:30-22:30 on at least 3 different channels. On top of that there is usually another soap from 18:30-19:30 or so on at least one channel. And then of course there is day time TV.

It is very hard to find anything other than soaps, lame comedies (with pre-recorded laughter and moronic sound effects) and stupid game shows.

TV here is most definitely geared towards the lowest common denominator. It is extremely rare to see anything even remotely educational / intelligent on TV. Very sad.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Is it the same in Thailand?"

No, it is much worse :(

Here these shows air every day from 20:30-22:30 on at least 3 different channels. On top of that there is usually another soap from 18:30-19:30 or so on at least one channel. And then of course there is day time TV.

It is very hard to find anything other than soaps, lame comedies (with pre-recorded laughter and moronic sound effects) and stupid game shows.

TV here is most definitely geared towards the lowest common denominator. It is extremely rare to see anything even remotely educational / intelligent on TV. Very sad.

Sanuk!

Rare yes but here is one example. I can't remember her name but every night on channel 3 there is about a minute segment called English on Tour. She speaks just about perfect English and she's stinkin' hot hot hot. I admit I used to watch her in the mornings with Kalamare on that woman to woman show, or whatever it was called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYTNyc-WuA

So trying to watch something I'd like to see instead on a weeknight in the living room is always going to lead to friction.

Put another TV in the bedroom for the wife to watch soaps on and then you can watch what you want in the living room. I've got a mate who has this set up and it was his wife who suggested it!

Cynical I may be but I'm copnvinced this is deliberate, at least in part. Education is a dangerous thing, Only to be permitted for the deserving, or positively vetted!

Brain numbing is useful in a controlled state.

I 2, agree...

I will say this - from my limited experience - if you meet an attractive Thai female and want to initiate an animated conversation quickly, just say - I really like La-Khon, how about you? Not kidding, best ice breaker I've found to date if you want to talk but not sure where to take the conversation, and regardless of where in the social strata she may lie (eg, hi-so, lo-so, no-so, whatever). Even if you relay quickly that you're kidding and have no idea what you're talking about, it is effective.

Now the follow up, that's a different story.

Archived