Smokers : What Would It Take For You To Give Up ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

My Dad was diagnosed with throat cancer about 10 years ago. Doc told him to stop smoking or he'd likely be dead in 3-6 months. On his way out of the office Dad took his tobacco out of his pocket, tossed them in the bin and walked out. Never touched a cigarette since. And he was doing 50 / day, non-filter roll-em-yourself ones.

Sanuk!

My maternal grandmother was a 1920s Flapper type, started smoking as a teen because it was "daring". She was in her mid-60s when she started getting short of breath and went to an MD. He told her she was developing emphysema and if she didn't stop smoking, she would not see 70. She went home and threw away all of her cigarettes. She made it to 80.

Right - so the UK government is on the right track to return the Treasury to a surplus ? More importantly, are you enjoying those zero degree mornings ?

I would not mind paying duty as long as it was fair across the board, the UK has the highest duty on Tobacco, Alcohol and Fuel Costs for what to finance the illegal immigrants and the Chav Dolies and I will be fucked if I am going to contribute to the fiscal fuck up.

My Zero Degree mornings do not exist, I am still in Thailand, I took BUPA to Ratchada Civil Court (Thai Equivalent of Old Bailey) to prove that my HBV was not a pre existing condition and not only did BUPA agree to an out of court settlement they are now legally bound to pay all of my medical costs. It does pay to have a tenacious lawyer who I happened to get married to last Monday and all the pre nuptials are in order with certified english translations.

My maternal grandmother was a 1920s Flapper type, started smoking as a teen because it was "daring". She was in her mid-60s when she started getting short of breath and went to an MD. He told her she was developing emphysema and if she didn't stop smoking, she would not see 70. She went home and threw away all of her cigarettes. She made it to 80.

i'm doing well with the no alcohol task ahead of me and the next step is to stop smoking.

i can get free stop-smoking aids for this but you have to basically promise to stop smoking completely.

i would rather gradually cut down as i 'think' i would find that easier,but who knows?.

i currently use 2 aids which while still putting nicotine into my system(albeit)allow me still smoke.

but i am finding my craving is diminishing as time goes on.

but i have a rule of 2 hours between real cigarettes and will gradually raise that to 3 hours/4 hours and so on.

i admire people who can just give up with no problems but we are all different and we all cope differently with different addictions

for me i think a gradual decline in smoking leading to stopping completely is my way of doing it.

i may have given up alcohol with no problems but it's one day at a time and i could never say i won't take a drink again in the future.

hopefully the day will come when i am nicotine free.

i'm actually having a lung 'MOT' soon and will be interesting to see any changes in my heart/lung condition since the last one.

Sayjann

I was actually pleasantly surprised at my Lung MOT.

For Work Permit in Thailand one requires a full chest Xray mainly for TB and my previous results came back crystal clear, also for some overseas assignments I take I have to take a Pulmonary test (Lung Function) and I have 100% capacity even though I have smoked for 35 years now and currently smoke 40-50 / day plus the occasional herbal ciggy

I know that I should at least cut back but it is my only vice after stopping drinking.

Archived