Travellers Who Paid Thousands Of Baht For Air Tickets Should Not Negotiate Over A Few Hundred Baht For A Taxi Fare

waerth

Is there not a law that says taxis must use the meter? A law is a law is a law, so use the meter, anything else is unacceptable. If it's not a law then everyone needs to know they are on their own when it comes to pricing.

Interestingly on a flight it is quite possible that the person next to you paid half or double what you did for the same seat. But I would further state that I think most people know that airline seats are sold in such a fashion and through such channels over such a period of time that this is considered a standard business model, and so far as I imagine there is not a statute that prohibits this.

Any official of an organisation that intimates it's okay for members of that organisation to break laws needs replacing.

You see honey ..... whatever is standard in Japan is not applicable to Thailand. Or should I expect taxi's here to charge me the Dutch taxifare?

The Dutch taxi laws and fares would matter if a Dutch person was super pissed at being overcharged, started a campaign that went viral, then signs started to appear saying “No Dutch Tourists†in Dutch, Thai and English.

" People who drive taxis should not argue about having to obey the country's laws. "

Taxi's are only obliged to use meters within the boundries of Bangkok, outside it is open to negoatioation, which anyone sensible would use to their advantage.

" One of the top 10 rules of business, charge all the market will bear."

Funny you should say that I have a degree in business studies, you must have went to the same university.

" There is a price set for services / goods, and people expect to pay that price regardless of other circumstances."

You mean like a sale

Taxi's are only obliged to use meters within the boundries of Bangkok, outside it is open to negoatioation, which anyone sensible would use to their advantage.

Interesting factoid. I wonder where the "boundaries" are for this to apply? Would it include Suvarnabhumi and the Japanese gentleman's destination? I live in Pathum Thani province but have never known a taxi to suggest "no need meter, not Bangkok!", either going to, or from Bangkok or for journeys within the local area.

I've seen tables of fares to up country locations hanging from the back of seats in taxis but I can't recall anywhere it indicating the fare might be open to negotiation. Maybe it is.

• Like 2

How it works at times depends on you, your attitude, your social negotiating skills, the particular taxi driver, where you want to go, and if it late at night. Or insist on a meter .... ohhhhh and when they say a flat rate .....run around like a tormented buffalow, whinge and complain and get a poor Thai sacked for nothing but small change.

Thai's rightly or wrongly believe that farang are richer than them and live a privileged lifestyle in a poor country, some farang like to keep it this way, and kick up if the balance is skewed in any way in favour of a poor Thai.

All of this is nothing more than simple economics, which is happening everywhere throughout the world, if you believe different .... in my humble opinion and for what it's worth, you're living in some sort of liberal dreamworld, and certainly not the Thailand I know and love. Don't you know by now why it's called amazing Thailand it is because of all the quirks and anomalies.

In my latest and current spiritual home , the Soi 7 Beergarden , about 2000 Baht seem to be the going rate for short time . Could a local resident be so kind to put this into perspective against a metered 250 plus tollway from the airport downtown . It is only theoretical , I do not like shorttime due to lack of elegance and romance .